Silly Question, But Please Help!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 1:44am by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 8

I'm standing here, cake in hand, just about to freeze a couple of extra layers from a project I'm working on, when I realized I'd never done it in this way before, and I had one important question. Do I level and slice the cake for torting now before freezing, or after I thaw it later?

I'm sure this is a silly question with a very obvious answer, but I have all of two live brain cells right now, and they're being used up by my typing. Thank you!

7 replies
ski Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 8

It will work either way, however if your cake is cool now, level and wrap for torting now. I have heard some people even fill and freeze, I haven't liked it so I wait til I'm ready to ice.

SueBuddy Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 8

I like to level and torte and fill before I freeze. It just makes it so much easier when you take it out because you don't have to wait until it completely thaws again to be able to cut it and it is more firm and set up and makes icing it so much easier, but really I think you can do it either way!

emiyeric Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 8

Great! Off to level and torte! I appreciate the help! icon_smile.gif

cheesecakes-galore Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 8

The way I do it, is freeze it, then torte it before it is completely thawed. It is easier to handle that way, for me anyhow. Hope that helps you.

hammer1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 8

i bake,freeze then torte when ready to ice and decorate.

Frankyola Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:23am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBuddy

I like to level and torte and fill before I freeze. It just makes it so much easier when you take it out because you don't have to wait until it completely thaws again to be able to cut it and it is more firm and set up and makes icing it so much easier, but really I think you can do it either way!

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

emiyeric Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great replies! It's good to know that I couldn't really ruin it here, I just need to find what works best for me. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%