Bc Grass...tips

Decorating By lolobell Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 2:47am by lolobell

lolobell Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 5

So, I'm making my first football/field cake this weekend for my nephews birthday and team....

I think it's the wilton tip 233 that makes the grass? Anyway, I've seen photos on CC of decorators "grass" and some look soooo thick and plush. How is that done???? any tips for me???? the last time I used that tip was when I did my sesame street cupcakes....I had a heck of a time so I'm not looking forward to a whole cake.

4 replies
BCJean Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 5

When covering a large area with the grass tip, it works best if your base icing in that area is already green, the when making the strings, keep them short...just pull it up enough you can see individual strings...if you let them flop over it is hard to get the next set started right next to them. Just go over the entire area holding the tip straight down on the cake and fill the entire area in.

twooten173 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 5

I'm too lazy to get off the couch to check the tip number (long day) but the tip has a bunch of holes in it. I use medium to thick icing. I find it works best if you build it up a little in the beginning and then pull away while piping - you know that action you do that gets you points on your dots?

When I'm covering a whole cake, I usually just ice the thing in green then strategically use the grass throughout the cake. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

The slightly thicker consistency of b'cream works best. If it is too soft it won't show single strands; if it is too thick it will be very hard to push thru the tube and probably will clog up icon_sad.gif

lolobell Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 5

thanks for the help!!! as always, you all come through. Now, I just need to get over this flu and then I'll be good to go!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%