Giant Cookie

Baking By marinewifejones Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm by marinewifejones

marinewifejones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marinewifejones Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 21

Ok Im sorry if there is a post about this somewhere else but I have looked and didnt find one.

My husband's birthday is on the 30th and since he doesn't really like cake I was thinking of makingh im a giant cookie and decorating that. So my question is, Do I need to do anything differently? Do I need a special pan or need to adjust the time and/or temp? I want to make it round because I am going to attempt to put the Studebaker lazy "S" logo on it.

20 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 21

There are a couple of giant cookies my pictures, (the birthday cake and the grain silo).

I just used my regular cookie dough, rolled it out on parchment and hand-cut the shape. I rolled it 1/4 inch as usual but baked it for a bit longer a bit cooler (like, 25 mins at 325 - can't remember exactly).

It worked fine, just make sure to cool really well before trying to move it because it'll break.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 21

I did a larger cookie once as a test not knowing how it would turn out either. But I turned my convection oven down 20 degrees and baked it for longer (I had to watch it often because I wasn't sure of the time) but it turned out great. I think turning the oven down is the key.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:06am
post #4 of 21

Ive done this before also. I used an aluminum pizza pan to make a perfect circle cookie. The cook time for me was generally the same as making smaller cookies, but just keep you eye on the cookie. I wound up decorating mine using RI and an image that I printed from my edible printer. They are fun to do and different. There are a bunch of different cookie recipes too on the website so don't feel stuck with the run of the mill sugar cookie. I posted a recipe for a cutout PB cookie that is terrific. Good luck!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 21

Image Welcome!
It will turn out just fine with almost any dough, except, perhaps oatmeal. I don't have much luck with the giant oatmeal cookies. Everything else I've tried works just fine.

marinewifejones Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 21

I was kinda hoping to use my husbands favorite chocolate chip recipe. the only pizza pan i have is stone ware (not even sure why i still have it cause i dont like it) but i do have large cookie sheets or some 9 or 10 inch round cake pans and spring form pans.

Meri8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meri8 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #7 of 21

I have made giant round chocolate chip cookies in a round pizza pan from my grandmas days - I cannot get it out of the pan unless I use parchment under it & it is still hard to get out - guests LOVE giant cookies, as it is a treat over the usual cake. Here is my photo, I did bake it a little longer....hope it attached !!!!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #8 of 21

I have been making giant choc chip cookie cakes for the last 20 years for my son. He never wants a cake just a cookie cake.

I use my favorite cookie recipe. Press it down into the pan, I use s pizza pan with sides. You can make a smaller one in any round pan. Grease the pan and I bake for 18 minutes. The cookie gets harder as it cools.

There is a sample fireman one in my pics. Good luck. Of course Choc Icing is perfect with the cookie.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:05am
post #9 of 21

I just made one today, except it was 2 layers with buttercream sandwiched inbetween them. Talk about satisfiying a sweet tooth. I am thinking about offering them for Valentine's Day.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 21

Mom, I've never done a layered cookie. But now I just have to! It sound so delicious.

marinewifejones Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

Mom, I've never done a layered cookie. But now I just have to! It sound so delicious.

Thats what I was thinking. I may just have to treat it as if it were a regular cake (ice it all over) so that when it is cut into people are surprised.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 21

I just actually finishe eating a slab of it. I am trying to update my site for Valentine's Day, so we are enjoying eating the treats after I take pics. My neighbors have been happy too!!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 21

Just use whatever your chocolate chip cookie recipe is, I use nestle's and bake for about 20 minutes @ recipe temp. Sometimes (depending on how big I'm making) bakes a little longer, sometimes less. Usually 15 min. minimum.

Sure, you can use a cake pan, I do it all the time. I bought a few of wilton's giant cookie pans, but if I need a bigger one, I just use a (good quality) round cake pan. Be sure to put parchment in the pan then coat that baby with baker's joy...then I decorate the top w/buttercream. HTH

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 21

These are yummy. I've done them round and heart shaped with a chocolate chip recipe. I was thinking of offering them for Valentine's Day too but am unsure of what to charge.
Any ideas on that?

I think a chocolate chocolate chip cookie for Valentine's day would be delicious.

Good luck with the cookie, I'm sure it will turn out fabulous!

Now, I want to try one with a PB cookie and chocolate frosting... oooh or cream cheese!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 21

I do my giant cookies with my regular recipe, which is quite a "rising" recipe so gives a very moist result. I put a full batch into a large pie dish, which makes it a bit thicker than usual, and turn the oven 5 -10 degrees cooler which I think helps to stop it burning on top before the middle is cooked. I know roughly how long it takes for this now, but when I was first experimenting I found it quite difficult to know if it was done in the middle as my cookies always came out very soft until they had cooled down. I figured out that if I took a knife out and the mixture looked a bit bubbly, then it was probably done, but if it looked completely smooth then it still needed more cooking. HTH.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 21

I have the giant wilton round cookie pan but was thinking of using my 8" round cake pans. If I grease and parchment the pans, will that work too? I want to make a BIG cookie but not that big. I'm going to be making 6 of them for the seniors on my daughter's basketball team. And wanted to experiment with it before I make. It will be the choco-chip. Thx.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 21

I have done all kinds of shapes in all kinds of pans. I have this cookie recipe I tweaked to make the cookies come out like cake cookies. It's awesome! I usually fill the pans about a 1/2 inch thick and I line the inside of my pans with foil. I turn the oven to 350 and it will usually bake about 25 to 30 minutes depending on the size. Then I cool it completely and then remove and wrap in saran wrap and freeze until I'm ready to decorate. I have had nothing but rants and raves over these cookie cakes. They are super easy, good luck!!

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigdogmama

If I grease and parchment the pans, will that work too?

I have done exactly this before. It worked out great! Just run a knife around the edge before you turn it out of the pan.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks CC people!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #20 of 21

I make these all the time, I use my chocolate chip recipe for that one and I use the pillusbury funfetti cake mix and follow the directions on the side it makes a killer sugar cookie cake.

I use all size pans, round , square, the 1/4 and 1/2 sheet all the time. I do use the ready made pan release for those that don't know it's 1cup of oil, 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of shortening. Mix them all together in the mixer for like 5 minutes it all comes together to look like a smooth creamy mix then I brush that on the pan and cook for like 20 min at 325

I go around the edge with a knife when it comes out of the oven then let it cool for like 10 minutes, while it's still warm I flip it out and flip it back to right side up.

I sell a lot of the chocolate and carmel chips from nestle then drizzle some carmel over that after I trim it with buttercream icing. Yummy those are the number one seller with funfetti sugar cookie as my second. I've even used a loxed brownie mix and made one from that people love them. Happy baking to you!!!!!

marinewifejones Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #21 of 21

I made a trial cookie last night to take over to a friend and i just used my regular jelly roll pan, covered it in parchment and then dumped a glob of cookie dough down then patted it out into a circle. it came out pretty good and I took a pic of it but i havent hooked up my camera yet to get it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%