Best Method To Tort, Fill & Stack An 11/x15" Sheet

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 1:40am by sparklepopz

formerbuckeye Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am reposting this question. I could not see repsponses even though it says there are 4. Please respond again if you already did.

I am making a cake this weekend that is two 11"x15" layers. Each layer will be torted and filled - one with lemon curd, the other with raspberry filling and BC between the two layers. With a cake this size, what do you use to lift off the torted pieces and then put them back together without messing up the filling or having the cakes crack? I have used cake boards, but sometimes the cakes don't want to slide off and it makes a mess in the filling!

Thanks

6 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 7

did you have powdered sugar on the cake board that you were using to help the cake not stick? Others have used cookie sheets that have no side.

HTH

formerbuckeye Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks cupcakemkr. I probably didn't put powdered sugar on the board. I will try that.

MirnaG Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

I'm happy you asked this question! I was having such a hard time..but I will also use the powdered sugar...sounds like a great idea, Thank you!

Sweet_Guys Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 7

We have a couple of the big spatulas that are on the market and we worked together to slide it onto a cake board. Then after filling, we took another cake board and flipped it onto that one before we flipped it upside down onto the filling.

HTH

Paul & Peter

bashini Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 7

Here is a link that I found few months ago. Hope it will help you in anyway,

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/videos/filling_a_sheet_cake.aspx

thumbs_up.gif

sparklepopz Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

Shoot, I just bake two 2" deep layers, chill them in the freezer for a bit to firm up the layers, and save myself the headache of torting and handling a cake that large. It makes life much easier. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%