Sugar-Free Ganache

Baking By Denny4321 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 4:59am by prterrell

Denny4321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denny4321 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 3

Just wondering if anyone has a sugar-free ganache recipe that has been used with success. If so, please share recipe and experience. A few minutes ago I googled ganache recipes using chocolate morsels and found one using semi-sweets. So I think to myself, "why not sub simi-sweet with sugar-free morsels?" I'm going to experiment but want to know if anyone else has already done this before I begin. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Here is that recipe:

CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Place 2 cups (12-oz. package) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1 cup whipping cream in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave an additional 30 seconds or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Makes about 2 cups ganache.

2 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 3

I am not sure if it would work, but maybe you could try Russell Stover's Carb-controlled chocolate? It is without sugar, they use sugar alcohol.

Also, you could use extremely dark chocolate, which I think has less sugar in it the darker you go.

Not sure what the texture of the Russell Stover's would be in a ganache. Let us know what you find out!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 3

The only way to have a sugar free ganache would be to use chocolate that doesn't have any sugar in it. However, if you have ever tried unsweetened baking chocolate, it is very bitter, so any ganache made this way wouldn't taste good. The closest you could get would be to make a very dark ganache using a very high % dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%