Is This One Done With Fondant Or Some Kind Of Chocolate?

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm by Jopalis

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 14

What do you all think? I can't imagine that it's all fondant the way it's standing up like that. I want to give this a try for an upcoming bridal fair but don't know what to order to decorate it with. Can anyone help with this one? Thank you!!!
LL

13 replies
imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 14

maybe chocolate? Here's a tutorial, it looks like a similar technique could be used. Hope it helps!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599861.html

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 14

I bet it's chocolate clay, but I'm not positive. It's a stunning cake, and I'm sure it will get you tons of attention at a bridal show!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 14

Or possibly thinly rolled white chocolate clay. That looks fun as heck! Not complicated, but gives the impression that it would be! Neato!

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 14

That's what I thought too. Now where to find chocolate clay? Thanks above for the tutorial! GREAT! It does look fun and simple. I will need to get some fresh flowers for it though but I will wait to see how it turns out. I may try to do it a little less elegant and a little more fun and funky? Then again, maybe not! DECISIONS!

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 14

You make chocolate clay....you can make the Wilton version, and the recipe is on the back of the candy melts bags.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 14

I would imagine there are better tasting recipes in here somewhere though...I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for replies myself for that info!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 14

Just wondering...if it is chocolate clay, how does that hold up under the heat of a reception hall?

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 14

That, I don't know. I have a few pieces of jewelry I molded with chocolate clay the other day sitting out on my work table at home, and it's pretty solid. I think the temp in there s around 70 degrees. I wouldn't imagine the hall would be much warmer...once people start moving around....they'd get hot!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 14

Actually, (not that you couldn't use chocolate clay) there's no reason why it couldn't be fondant. As you attach each "panel" - from the top down - You can take a strip of paper, wrap it around the fondant loosely and tape it to hold it up. It would only need to be taped for a short while, if needed at all. As you attach the fondant to the cake, there's only a small amount over the top edge that would need some help from falling in. Place a cake dummy on it the same size as the cake to give the cake some added height and to keep it from falling in. If decorating all of the tiers while stacked, it would be relatively easy to roll up some paper towels for the top edges for the same purpose. Hope this made sense! Would love to see your display when you finish.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 14

Yeah...ditto on the fondant suggestion. I actually want to try this myself, it's very elegant looking!

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 14

I have seen what I believe is the same technique in Mitch Turner's book and she uses chocolate plastique. Made with chocolate, cocoa butter, glucose syrup and stock syrup. Expect this would taste a lot better than something made with candy melts.

I can email you the pages from her book if you would like. Just PM your address.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

I have seen what I believe is the same technique in Mitch Turner's book and she uses chocolate plastique. Made with chocolate, cocoa butter, glucose syrup and stock syrup. Expect this would taste a lot better than something made with candy melts.

I can email you the pages from her book if you would like. Just PM your address.

Lol...no kidding, I didn't think about the taste! Yeah, if I were making this for a client...ixnay on the Wilton candy melts!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 14

If you do like the chocolate wrap...be sure you use food safe acetate. Not all the same. Not food safe has chemicals that can leach out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%