I Hate Winter!!!

Lounge By mlynnb Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 2:01pm by marmalade1687

mlynnb Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 30

Sorry, just needed to vent! I have lived up north for 17 yrs now (originally from FL) and still have not gotten used to snowy, icy roads! It doesn't help that the only 2 accidents I've ever had were becasue of ice---one of them being yesterday! icon_cry.gif My DD and I slid off of the road and ended up in a ditch. Thank God we were both ok, but now I want to be a hermit and stay in until spring comes! My DH loves the winter, so I don't think I'll ever be able to convince him to move anywhere warm, but a girl can dream!
Thanks for letting me vent......stay safe everyone and beware of the icy roads!

29 replies
mbelgard Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 30

I would like to stay in till spring too, today it's -20 before windchill in our area of North Dakota. The sad part is that this is not the coldest it's been this year. The roads are ice and snow packed for a good 5 months of the year and I hate it.

My husband is like yours because he likes winter, it really doesn't help that he thinks 80 is HOT, so I'll never get him to move south.

Amia Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 30

OMG, how scary! I'm happy to hear y'all are both okay! I hate winter too, though it would be nice to actually see snow in person, just once!

And at least where you live, you know what the weather will be like everyday. Yesterday I was in short sleeves, today I need a jacket. UGH! Make up your mind, weather! icon_evil.gif It's been back and forth between spring and winter weather for the past 3 months!

sweetness_221 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 30

You know as much as I hate winter I hate this up and down temp. stuff. I live in Kansas and our weather is crazy! Tomorrow's going to be 10 for the high with lots of wind. Now I know, it's not as cold as some parts, but what irritates me, is next week is going to be in the 60's! I love 60 degree weather, but I hate this up and down stuff! If it's going to be cold be cold or if it's going to be warm be warm. Stop doing this up and down stuff! icon_mad.gif

mlynnb Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

I would like to stay in till spring too, today it's -20 before windchill in our area of North Dakota. The sad part is that this is not the coldest it's been this year. The roads are ice and snow packed for a good 5 months of the year and I hate it.

Alright, you win!!! That is cold icon_eek.gif . We're only at -12 with windchill, so I suppose we're relatively warm compared to you, lol. The night before my accident I was going thru a list of "why we need to move south" with my hubby. Needless to say, he wasn't convinced icon_cry.gif It doesn't help that the kids are all on his side!

Ohara Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 30

mlynnb....I have been out all day in this winter yuck!!! I have thought about how much I hate winter several times today. School let out early today and I doubt that we will have school tomorrow.
I love warm weather! Stay safe.

mbelgard Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnb

Quote:
Quote:

Alright, you win!!! That is cold icon_eek.gif . We're only at -12 with windchill, so I suppose we're relatively warm compared to you, lol. The night before my accident I was going thru a list of "why we need to move south" with my hubby. Needless to say, he wasn't convinced icon_cry.gif It doesn't help that the kids are all on his side!

I believe our windchill was supposed to be around -40, I haven't ventured outside today because it's so cold. The really cold days we were at -40 or so without windchill being factored in.

-Tubbs Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 30

Brrr. It's a bit warmer here in the Great White North today, but it's snowing and the roads are hideous.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

We watched Mamma Mia! recently and decided there and then to retire to the Greek Islands!!! (if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it for a feel-good warm up!)

mlynnb Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 30

Ohara-
Did you end up having school today? My kids did, I was shocked because all of the other schools around closed!

mbelgard-
I was watching the news this am and it looks like you are -40's today (I think that is with windchill, but whatever1 icon_eek.gif )

I'm dreaming of the Greek Islands that TubbsCookies wrote about! Did any of you seee where I think Australia is looking for someone to go live on an island for a 6 months and they will pay them for it !?!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479973,00.html

Sign me up! icon_lol.gif

Ohara Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 30

No school today. They actually called us closed last night before the 11pm news. We are still a level 2 emergency here. Sad for me that I HAVE to go outside today!

mbelgard Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 30

This morning at the local radio station it was -29 actual temp. They said the windchill was supposed to be between -40 and -60. School is delayed 2 hours.

For those complaining of uncertain weather we see the same thing. The only difference is that it normally doesn't get warm enough to melt. Our low temp for tommorow is supposed to be about 40 degrees warmer than the temp was at 6:30 am this morning but will only be 10 above.

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:

Ohara-
Did you end up having school today? My kids did, I was shocked because all of the other schools around closed!

mbelgard-
I was watching the news this am and it looks like you are -40's today (I think that is with windchill, but whatever1 icon_eek.gif )

I'm dreaming of the Greek Islands that TubbsCookies wrote about! Did any of you seee where I think Australia is looking for someone to go live on an island for a 6 months and they will pay them for it !?!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479973,00.html

Sign me up! icon_lol.gif

Where are you in Ohio? I am in Strongsville. My kids had school too when everyone else was closed. I was so pissed, I called the superintendent's office at 7:30am to ask why. Of course I didn't get a reply, just "well, we will certainly rethink about having school tomorrow." icon_cool.gificon_mad.gif I have a feeling they got a lot of angry phone calls this morning.

I kept my boys home anyway. They go to morning kindergarten. I was not sending them out to wait for the bus for them to go to school for 2 1/2 hours in this cold.

mlynnb Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 30

I actually live in the country, or, as I like to call it: The Middle of Nowhere, between Sidney and Lima, OH (We're in Shelby county, but right on the edge of Logan county).
Our roads are a mess. It took my DH 30 min to get to work today and usually it only takes 10 min. I guess they said the bigger roads are ok, it's just the smaller back roads, but when practically the whole district is country kids, I'm surprised they didn't close.

pajnpis Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 30

We were celebrating my daughter birthday and was planning to take her and everyone else to chucky cheese. Well the plan change once I move and car and saw her on the sidewalk crying. I went over to her and she had blood all over her chin. She must have slipped on the slippery part of the sidewalk ( my MIL have those big chuck of ice softener so it probably got her chin). Afer I wash her chin, she had a cut just right underneath her chin. Took her to the hospital, waited 3 hours just to get in... about another 25 minutes the doctor finally came in. Turns out she had 6 stiches but was really quiet. She didn't cry at all and the doctor was really impress because other 4 year olds would had tried to fight out of it.

marmalade1687 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 30

Pajnpis, I hope your daughter feels better! First the slip on the ice, then the stitches!! Ouch!

I usually have one good fall on the ice each year, although I am still waiting for mine! I bought "Yak Trax" this winter - they slip onto the bottom of your boots and give you extra traction when you are walking on ice and snow so that you don't slip - they are great!

We were at -39 yesterday, although by the end of the day, the arctic front had moved back up to where it should be (the Arctic!!) and we are now back to the -20's - I can hardly wait until May!! icon_cry.gif

Monkess Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #16 of 30

Hang in there- spring is coming..uh soon?!!

marmalade1687 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:02pm
post #17 of 30

March 20th - 62 more days and counting!!

Better yet...first day of SUMMER...June 21st - 155 days and counting!! WHOO-HOO!! party.gifparty.gif

Larrimore Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 30

OMG! -40 degrees??? I would freeze to death! It is 29 degrees here today with wind chill being 18. I am inside and have on a long sleeve shirt, short sleeve uniform shirt, a flannel shirt, jeans, socks, shoes, the thermostat is set at 72 but the temp in here is 69 and I am COLD! I told my mom last night if my DH said we were moving north, I would tell him I love him and wish him well, I am gonna stay in the south lol. Pajnpis, sorry to hear your daughter needed stitches and especially on her birthday.

mlynnb Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 30

It was -14 this morning when I got up -35 w/windchill, and my DH's car wouldn't start this am! Way too cold for me. At least it's sunny today, that helps keep the house warm! They say this front is supposed to move out of here by tomorrow. YAY!!! Hats off to those of you who live in this weather for more than a week, you guys deserve a medal, or at the very least, a trip to the Carribean! icon_biggrin.gif

bigsisof3kids Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #20 of 30

This is the coldest it's ever been in my life, I think... And I live in the winter wonderland of Michigan. It was -32 this morning

Jeaucl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #21 of 30

Here, here i hate winter. I just simply don't function well when it is cold and my allergies threaten to pound me into fine dust if the weather changes drastically day to day like it has lately. Gasp, it is supposed to be warm here in FL, not 17 degrees!

mbelgard Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #22 of 30
Quote:

It was -14 this morning when I got up -35 w/windchill, and my DH's car wouldn't start this am!

That's why we plug our vehicles in when it's cold.

marmalade1687 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:01pm
post #23 of 30

Hee hee! We went to Myrtle Beach last year, and people asked us why we had a plug coming out the front of our car. When we told them it was to plug our car in to warm it up so it would start in the morning, they just looked at us like we were from Mars - they had thought we had an electric car!! icon_lol.gif I think it's warmer on Mars than in Ottawa sometimes!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm
post #24 of 30

I live in NY... we're supposed to warm up today to the low teens! Ugh! I'm ready for spring!

mlynnb Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 30

mbelgard wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

That's why we plug our vehicles in when it's cold

Ok, this might be a silly question, but what does is mean to plug your vehicle? It happened to my DH's truck again this morning, so when I told him about this post, he told me to ask!!! icon_redface.gif He's from PA and lived in cold temps his whole life, but he said he's never heard of that!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #26 of 30

The car or truck would have to have an engine block heater in order to 'plug' it in. It's common here in NY, especially as you move north towards Canada!

mbelgard Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

mbelgard wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's why we plug our vehicles in when it's cold

Ok, this might be a silly question, but what does is mean to plug your vehicle? It happened to my DH's truck again this morning, so when I told him about this post, he told me to ask!!! icon_redface.gif He's from PA and lived in cold temps his whole life, but he said he's never heard of that!

Our vehicles have block heaters, they have a plug that hangs out of the hood and we plug it into an extension cord. Since you rarely see such cold temps it probably isn't worth it to you but we couldn't get by without it.

He might not have heard of it because there's a difference between cold and REALLY cold. This weather you've been having is pretty normal for us this time of year and the temp often dips lower than that.

If your husband has a diesel it might be gelled up too. I think a block heater can help some with that but my FIL's been struggling with his even plugged in and I know our local school had issues with buses getting gelled too.

marmalade1687 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #28 of 30

Ah, block heaters and heated seats!! What would we do without them from December to March?? icon_lol.gif

Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #29 of 30

On the national news this morning they mentioned California being in the 80's today... and for where I live.. our high is supposed to be 24 (which, sadly, might actually feel balmy after the recent lows...) Our high for the WEEK is listed as 26. I'm so ready for spring! I'm itching to do some planting and have windows open... I'd just love to be able to see the grass again!

marmalade1687 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:01pm
post #30 of 30

I'm with you Bijoudelanuit, our windows are frozen shut! thumbsdown.gificon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%