Sideswipe Spatula Blade

Decorating By havingfun Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 1:34pm by Bethkay

havingfun Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone purchased this product? I read about them in a magazine (I think Cook's Illustrated) and my DH gave me one for Christmas. Just tried to use it last night on buttercream and it made a LOT of air in it. I tried it on WASC today, and it made many, many, air bubbles. Anyone else know how to use it??? They gave it an excellent review.

12 replies
Sdh117 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 13

Hi! I don't have a SideSwipe Blade but there are some helpful tips (use on lower speeds, adjusting mixing times, adjusting the mixer beater position) on their website about using the blade attachment.

Here is the link- http://www.sideswipeblade.com/faq.html

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 13

I got one, not sure if its the same brand, ("BeaterBlade") but ordered for Christmas on Amazon. I really like mine! Especially with cake batter...its GREAT. Once I get a little more "ahead" money wise this year, with cakes, I may order another one for my second mixer.

Wendl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 13

I have one I bought at Crate & Barrel that has a continuous (per side of paddle) 'fin'. Not broken up like the one on the website. I haven't tried it yet but I will report back when I have (hopefully this weekend).

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 13

Oh no mine is definitely a different brand....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TMI28/?tag=cakecentral-20

I like it though!

TooMuchCake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 13

I have the Metro Design Beater Blade like Kitagrl has, and I really like it.

Deanna

havingfun Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 13

I used the lower speed, adjusted the blade, etc. Thanks for the link, I had already looked at it. It is an interesting product and I plan to try it on other recipes. Just don't want to mess up this wedding cake! Have a great cake day.

luvbakin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I like it though!

I have this one too. My SIL gave it to me for Christmas. I do the sugarshack techinique for bc where you fill the bowl up, and then mix on high for 6 minutes.. It worked great on regular bc, but when I made chocolate bc I got a ton of air bubbles in it. Might have been something I did. I'll definitely try it again.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I like it though!

I have this one too. My SIL gave it to me for Christmas. I do the sugarshack techinique for bc where you fill the bowl up, and then mix on high for 6 minutes.. It worked great on regular bc, but when I made chocolate bc I got a ton of air bubbles in it. Might have been something I did. I'll definitely try it again.

I think anytime you do that you have to make sure the icing fully covers the beater....that way it keeps all the air out.

havingfun Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 13

I am sorry, but glad, that someone else had the "air" problem. (Did that sound right??) I usually don't have any problems with the Buttercream Dream Icing from this site getting air when I mix it on low after adding the sugar. Wow, I did not know there were so many other similiar beaters!! To those of you with different designs, did you still have to scrape the bowl during mixing??

dessert1st Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:37am
post #11 of 13

I have the sideswipe and I really like it. I use it for Sugarshack's recipe and I don't get any air, but of course the icing is over the top of the paddle. The only disadvantage is that it's hard to get all the extra frosting or batter off of the beater because of all the fins.... but not bad enough to make me not like it icon_smile.gif I use it for almost everything, I just make sure I don't overmix.

Bethkay Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 13

I have the Beater Blade for the 6-qt. KA and love it. It makes mixing my cake batter and BC icing much easier. I haven't had any trouble with air in my icing, and I have to do a very minimal amount of scraping. I think I do it mostly out of habit. Right at the end I give everything a good stir by hand. The only problem (if you can call it that) that I have had is if I am beating a small amount of butter, the blade causes a squeeking noise against the bowl. Once I add more ingredients, the noise stops.

Bethkay Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 13

I have the Beater Blade for the 6-qt. KA and love it. It makes mixing my cake batter and BC icing much easier. I haven't had any trouble with air in my icing, and I have to do a very minimal amount of scraping. I think I do it mostly out of habit. Right at the end I give everything a good stir by hand. The only problem (if you can call it that) that I have had is if I am beating a small amount of butter, the blade causes a squeeking noise against the bowl. Once I add more ingredients, the noise stops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%