Barbie Help....

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm by taygetta

jlsheik Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 6

I don't have the "wonder mold" to make Barbies dress bottom. Can anyone tell me what sizes of cake I could bake and stack and carve to make a pretty dress bottom? Any help would be great!! Cake is due the 21st.
Thanks Laura

5 replies
Pama2d Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 6

In my opinion... I would go with at least an 8" or 10" round cake... nothing smaller. I've also heard of others using a pyrex bowl or one of those large glass measuring bowls (make sure it's oven safe first) to make the dress portion. Hope that helps.

taygetta Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 6

I just went and got my wonder mold and my 8" pan sits right on it and is only a 1/4" off. So I would go with 8" pans. I did one for my daughter and she still raves about that cake. I put a real Barbie in it, instead of the 'barbie' pick. I found one of the fairy ones with removable wings, she worked perfect because her bodice was already molded onto her torso. Don't forget to wrap her legs in plastic wrap to make clean up easier. Good luck!

cakesmade4u Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 6

Hi I made a few cakes some carved with 3 8" or 4 8" and you can do 1 9" for the bottom depending on how tall you want it so either 3-4 8" or 3 8" 1 9". About 3-4 single layer cakes. Then place the barbie in a plastic baggie or Saran wrap waist down make a hole in the top of the cake where the barbie will be. then start from the top and work your way down carving like a dress shape. You can use your scraps to make the waves. Frost the skirt first then use the scraps for the rolls then frost over them. You can use fondant or what ever you like to frost. Then decorate. Remember to put the dolls hair up so it won't get full of frosting. Hope this helps. Have fun..... icon_biggrin.gif

jlsheik Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 6

hmmmm thanks so much!!! Lots to think about I am wondering if 3- 8's would work and a 6 on top to give it a graduated look......

taygetta Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

I would do exactly that. It would make it sooo much easier for you to carve as well. If you need more help pm me and I can send you my photo of the one I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%