Newbie Duh Moment!

Baking By Twopeasinapod Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 3:03am by DsLady614

Twopeasinapod Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 7

I have been looking through all the gallery pictures and noticing that some of you say you have used buttercream on your sugar cookies and it looked so smooth. I had only been using RI but love the BC taste. So I searched and searched to see about how to get the effect you all were getting. I knew that you are to thin the RI to flood, but it never dawned on me until last night that you do the same thing with the BC. DUH!@!@! icon_surprised.gif I felt like such a dork! When I told my husband, he laughed at me. I thought, "I wonder how many others make such stupid newbie mistakes!" Oh, well, now I know!!

6 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 7

I've never heard about thinning the bc to flood, maybe it was rolled buttercream that was used?

cakemommy Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central! Don't worry! We all have those "duh" moments. For instance, I forgot to add the SUGAR icon_mad.gif to a cake recipe not too long ago. How "duh" is that!?!?! icon_confused.gif

Again, welcome to CC and I hope you find it a wonderful place to learn and make friends!

Twopeasinapod Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 7

It might have been rolled buttercream, but thining it just a little worked for me great. I was able to pipe on a border around the cookie and then fill the middle with a spoon up to the border and it was so smooth. I used the air dried butter cream and then piped on accents with RI. They turned out great (or at least I think so)!

DsLady614 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

Question would be, how well did it dry? Buttercream really isn't designed to set up hard enough to be able to stack the cookies. If you like the taste of a buttercream, why not try Toba's Glace. You can find the recipe on here. It doesn't have the meringue powder and tartar in it that royals usually need.

Glace doesn't hold shapes, like stars and stuff well, but I like the flavor MUCH more!

Twopeasinapod Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 7

Does the Glace get as hard as the RI? I don't necessarily mind the RI taste because I add vanilla or almond flavoring, I just feel that it gets so hard. I don't guess the people mind because I took 6 dozen cookies to a meeting Sunday and brought none home. Does the RBC get hard enough to stack? And no, the thinned butter cream did not get hard enough to stack. But I was only doing 2 dozen of them for some ladies at school so they did not have to stack. I will probably not do that again even though it worked and looked pretty. It definitly wouldn't work in cookie bouquets.

DsLady614 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 7

The Glace is hard enough to stack, yet when you bite into it, it's nice and soft. Honestly, I can't keep my hands off these cookies when I do them. Look on the memberlist for kneadacookie. She works in Glace and her cookies are AMAZING.

I really don't know anything about rolled buttercream. I may have to try it sometime, just out of curiousity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%