Applying Sanding Sugars...

Baking By bakinccc Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm by bakinccc

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 27

Is it possible to apply one color of sanding sugar right next to another color of sanding sugar without getting the two mixed? I have some detailed designs in mind where I would want three colors of sugars covering the whole cookie. Any ideas?

26 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 27

I think you can but you would have to let each color/sanding sugar dry completely before applying the next color/sanding sugar. (I always use the same color of royal icing as sanding sugar I want to use) If I am doing a striped cookie and want to use different colored sanding sugars, I apply one color, apply the sanding sugar, shake off excess and then let dry completely. Then I would repeat the same process with each color.

bakinccc Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 27

Thanks Jodie...I'm going to give it a try.

VanGough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanGough Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 27

That's the way I do it too. One colour at a time, letting them dry in between colours. Luckily, if you use royal icing, it doesn't take long! Good luck!

bakinccc Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 27

Thanks VanGough. Before yankeegal answered I was seriously thinking people must make stencils to apply them so close together almost like dusting a cake with powdered sugar. It sounded like so much work that I've never tried it. I'm glad it's just a simple solution.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 27

Bakinccc, I know exactly what you mean about the stripes and the sanding sugar mixing into the next color. I've never been good at it. I'm gonna try the hints here but I was also thinking about it and trying to come up with a remedy. What if you (assuming the line between each color is straight) take a piece of paper and hold it over the line to separate the colors. That way no sanding sugar will get on the "other" color and be hard to remove. Do you understand? I mean to use the paper as a shield or a barrier between the two. Does that make sense? Just tryin' to help!! icon_biggrin.gif

bakinccc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 27

Peeverly - I get what you're saying and that's what I thought of first if I were just to do straight lines, but the designs I have in mind are more curvy. I'll just have to try applying one color at a time letting each dry in between. Hope it works and thanks for the input!!!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 27

I really, really want to see these cookies when you're done with them!

bakinccc Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 27

Ok, now I'm feeling the pressure!! LOL!!!!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 27

Peeverly-that is a good suggestion. I may try it with some upcoming Valentine's cookies.
I always look forward to bakinccc's cookies!

bakinccc Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 27

Well here's one of the cookies I did with the sanding sugars applied right next to each other. Thanks to everyone's advice here I did it for the first time with these "Joseph" cookies and they turned out great.

A lot of people are asking how I did them so I thought I'd post it on here. I first did the outlining in black one day and let that sit overnight. The next morning I attacked the coloring. I would fill about 10 of the red sleeves with icing then go back to each one to apply the red sanding sugar, tap off the excess, then use a clean "blush brush" from any make-up department (mine is only used for cookies) to brush off the stray sugars that stick even after tapping it off. After doing the 60 cookies in red I went back to the first ones to do the orange icing/sugar and was pleasantly surprised to see that the red was dry enough that the next orange sugar didn't stick. No stray orange sugars stuck to the red sugars although there were a few orange crystals on the remaining unfrosted parts of the cookie so I brushed them off again and repeated this whole process with the rest of the colors. It took me 4 hours to do all 60.

So if you were only doing a few cookies that would translate into about 45min drying time for one color before moving onto the next. Much quicker than I expected.

All that sanding sugar over the entire cookie made it taste a little sweeter than normal but I LOVE a sweet tasting cookie so I didn't mind a bit. icon_lol.gif

It was my first time covering an entire cookie with all these sanding sugars. I charged my normal charge for them because the customer wasn't even expecting me to do that but it's Joseph's colorful coat...I just HAD to do it!! I would definitely charge more for this extra touch in the future!!

Thanks for the many nice compliments on these cookies!!!!!!
LL

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 27

it looks amazing. did you have any trouble piping the lettering over the sugars?

bakinccc Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 27

Hi Dawn!!!!!

That's a good question because the lettering caused me the greatest amount of stress!

When I did the lettering and the little shading lines occasionally they wouldn't stick because there was a little loose sugar on the cookie. So I'd have to lift that line off and reapply it. But it would always stick on the second try. That only happened about 5 times in all 60 cookies. I learned you really need to make sure you tap off all excess sugar.

Then the next morning after they dried I looked at them again really close and noticed that the lettering almost looked like it was simply set down on top of the sugars. (Oh my gosh!!! What if my writing didn't stick securely???!!!) I was thinking that I'd have lines breaking off all over the place when I packaged them. But not one line was lost. Whew!!!! So you'd need to make sure your piping icing is just thin enough to sort of "sink in" to the sugars but not too thin that your lettering melts into blobs.

Have you piped over sugars before? Can you relate?

kneadacookie Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:05am
post #14 of 27

yes, that's why i asked. i was so scared of how they would look a couple hours in the bags.
well, your cookies look fabulous. you're still my favorite cookie decorator!!

bakinccc Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #15 of 27

I LOVE your cookies too. I just wish you would post more pics!! You're surely up there pumping out new creations all the time, huh?!!! LOL

Yah - I don't think I would ever ship those cookies...much too delicate!!!!!!

kneadacookie Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #16 of 27

i know i haven't posted anything new in awhile. between my kids stealing my camera and being so stressed trying to find a new kitchen. maybe this week i'll have some "free time".

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #17 of 27

GORGEOUS, vibrant, colorful, perfect........is there anymore to say?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Is it possible to apply one color of sanding sugar right next to another color of sanding sugar without getting the two mixed? I have some detailed designs in mind where I would want three colors of sugars covering the whole cookie. Any ideas?

I agree with the others, apply one color, let dry completely and then do the next color. Keep a small brush handy to brush off the new color off the old color (it won't stick if the old color is dry.) On my www I have a cookie that was designed to look like Gilda Radner and that bad boy takes three days to make just in drying time! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #19 of 27

I just saw this thread (and that picture! that cookie!) and I just want to say, that is one of the most beautiful cookies I've ever seen! Congrats to the OP for her successful excecution.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #20 of 27

Those are probably the most perfectly done cookies I have ever seen! Gooooood job!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #21 of 27

All I can say is WOW! That is truly an amazing cookie...as in Jospeh's amazing technicolor coat!

And Dawn...looking forward to seeing anything new from you! Hide the camera from your kids if you have to.

psneed5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psneed5 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #22 of 27

Fabulous cookies, bakinccc! I'm so impressed. They are beautiful, unique, and fun.

Thanks to all for the tips on sanding sugars. With spring cookies coming up....what a great opportunity to add a little sparkle to all those wonderful spring colors. icon_smile.gif

bakinccc Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks again for everyone's comments. And kneadacookie....I look forward to any pics you post too!!!

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #24 of 27

Those cookies were amazing! Thanks for posting your tips and for everyone else posting tips. I hadn't ever though of using a makeup brush to brush away spare sugar. Great idea!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #25 of 27

Is there a trick to putting sugar on the cookie. When I put the RI on and then put the sugar on it ran all down the sides of the cookie icon_cry.gif So after a couple of cookies did this I flooded the cookie and let it sit for a minute before adding the sugar. Is that the right way to do it? I didn't use and outline on the cookie so I was thinking that might have been why they ran icon_mad.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:29pm
post #26 of 27

Absolutely beautiful! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

bakinccc Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #27 of 27

nickshalfpint - there are tricks to applying the sugars but you're definitely on the right track. When you apply the sugars it makes the icing heavier which makes it want to run more. So an outline helps a lot...sort of creates that edge needed to keep the fill icing in place. If you don't do an outline then letting your icing dry for a few minutes should help hold it in place...and your sugars will sparkle more because the sugars sit more on top of the icing rather than sinking in so much.

thanks to everyone else for the nice comments!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%