Rolled Buttercream Question

Baking By robinscakes Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm by Twopeasinapod

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 11

I've never done rolled buttercream, but have worked with fondant a lot. Can anyone tell me how similar/different it is before I try it. I've seen so many cute cookies here in CC and more and more of them say rolled buttercream. Most of my cookies are a frosting similar to R.I. but I'd like to try the rolled buttercream just to see how I like it. Thanks in advance.

10 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 11

Oh, and one more thing. Does it have to be fridged?

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 11

I've never tried it either, I would love to know the same thing.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 11

I haven't worked with fondant much, but use RBC on my cookies. One difference that you will hear, is that the RBC seems to be more greasy. Once I have applied the RBC to the cookie, I go ahead and decorate with royal. Then I let it sit overnight before I package them. That seems to help dry the RBC so it isn't as greasy.

I store my RBC in the frig or freezer. You do not have to keep the cookies in the frig.

I use my fondant roller to cut out the RBC. Once cut out, I have to put mine in the freezer to firm up before I appliy it to the cookie. I use corn syrup as glue. I keep that in a squirt bottle and apply a few drops on the cookie, then place the RBC.

Hope this helps!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 11

i used rbc but i tried to use it on a cake...big mistake!!! its a lot softer than fondant. i think it will be great for cookies. i did not store mine in the fridge and it tasted great!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

I have not tried it on cookies, but that sounds like a good idea, and one I want to try! RBC IS greasier than fondant... takes a lot of finessing. However, if you mix RBC with fondant, you get a much easier "dough" to work with --and it's pretty tasty too!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

I am also been wanting to try rolled buttercream. What recipe do you use? The one recipe I have calls for a high ratio shortening and I can not get it in the little town I live in, I would have to order it on the internet.
Another question is when you place the icing pieces in the freezer, how long do you leave them before you take them out to put on the cookies?
I would like to try rolled buttercream!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 11

have used RBC a few times on cookies. it is greasy and soft and it does have to sit over night. I put mine on NFSC cookies right out of the oven. I have frozen cookies with it on and they have suffered no damage. had great reviews about taste.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I have not tried it on cookies, but that sounds like a good idea, and one I want to try! RBC IS greasier than fondant... takes a lot of finessing. However, if you mix RBC with fondant, you get a much easier "dough" to work with --and it's pretty tasty too!

Never thought to mix the RBC with a little fondant. Thanks for the tip.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 11

I would like to know the difference too.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 11

I was looking around on the forum for something else and found a recipe for rolled fondant so I thought I would post it here.
Rolled Buttercream
http://forum.cakecentral.com/c.....ative.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%