Using Other People's Designs??

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 6:38am by Frankyola

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:20am
post #1 of 8

Hi all
I've got a newbie question for you all.

I'm making a wedding cake for someone that I know. She has asked if she can have a cake like one she has seen in a magazine, by a well known cake designer.

I have never based a cake design on anyone else's work before - where do I stand in terms of 'copyright / plagiarism" issues. The cake won't be the same but it will probably clearly be based on the design from the magazine.
Is this OK?
icon_confused.gif
Thanks in advance

7 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:26am
post #2 of 8

This has been discussed in several threads...it was suggested to ask the bride what particular things she likes best about the cake in the picture. And then you will have a better idea of what she wants.

The best direct answer I saw was something like "I will be happy to create for you my interpretation of this cake, but it will not be a copy."

I don't think it's an issue of plagiarism, but of interpretation of another artist's work. Look here in the galleries...you will see countless cakes done in similar designs

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 8

I don't know too much about the whole copyright issue, but I think as long as you make it your own, I don't see a why there would be any problem.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:42am
post #4 of 8

Do what you want with the cake. Well known designers do not post pictures of cakes that they DON'T want copied! Just think of Collette Peters, Elissa Straus, Toba Garret etc...they all have books and web pages full of their own personal creations. They don't care. Seriously, I have had one of them walk me through several cakes in the past via email and she was more than willing to HELP me recreate her own designs. Seriously, it is not an issue

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:30am
post #5 of 8

I would be inclined to think that unless an image of a cake clearly states that it's copyrighted to the designer then you can copy all you like.

If there is a photo of a cake and nowhere on it indicates that it is copyrighted then I can't see why you cannot copy it as it would be clearly protected by the copyright mark otherwise.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with SugarFrosted, it's your interpertation of the design. I think it's hard to duplicate an exact replica of a cake even it's a design that you've created. Each cake is unique in my opinion. I would say go for it!

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 8

Brilliant - thanks again folks. The wedding's not till May but I think I'd better get started making several squillion sugar roses...

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:38am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

This has been discussed in several threads...it was suggested to ask the bride what particular things she likes best about the cake in the picture. And then you will have a better idea of what she wants.

The best direct answer I saw was something like "I will be happy to create for you my interpretation of this cake, but it will not be a copy."

I don't think it's an issue of plagiarism, but of interpretation of another artist's work. Look here in the galleries...you will see countless cakes done in similar designs

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , It is hard to get an exact copy on a design anyway thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%