Help Covering Tapered Shapes With Fondant Please

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm by Becscakes

chilz822 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:48am
post #1 of 5

Hello,
This is my first post. I am completely addicted to this site. Thanks to a weekend illness and watching Duff nonstop, I'm completely obsessed with cakes!

I made my first fondant covered cake this past weekend and it turned out pretty good and I think I've found my new vice. I want to try a small topsy-turvy next. I understand the construction (of course I'll take any hints and tips from you experts...). My question is... how difficult is it to cover when the top is wider than the bottom? I understand that it's easier to carve from the bottom-up, but what about the fondant? When the section is more tapered, wider at the top, wouldn't the fondant pucker when you got to the more narrow bottom?

Any hints?

4 replies
LisaR64 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry I can't help, but I too have had problems with fondant bunching at the bottom of small cakes. Hopefully someone will have a solution for us!

KoryAK Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

Just go slow and keep smoothing. Its the same motion and concept, but more of it.

sugarshack Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 5

I agrre with Kory. You do have more folds to work out, you just have to be patient and keep that tablecloth fluffing motion going.

For the narrow top tiers that are taller than they are wide, I will often wrap them with fondant rather than put myself through the torture of trying to cover it.

Becscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

Just make sure your fondant isnt too thin, if it is it will tear from the edge.
Belive me ive made this mistake, i had to cover my first topsy turvy twice!
I found that the fondants weight seems to be the big problem with tearing, i just went around the sides real quickly at first but then going back over lifting and smoothing upwards.
I made sure i rolled out way too much fondat to cover the cake, this way i cut most of the bunched excess off.
It takes time but it dose look great.
Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%