Mocha Icing Recipe, Help...

Baking By maimai16 Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 12:08am by mlynnb

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:39am
post #1 of 15

i kind of volunteered myself in making a birthday cake for a friend and i am just informed that the celebration will be on saturday... yikes... my friend requested a simple butter cake with plain mocha icing... i already have a tried and tested butter cake recipe but i haven't tried making mocha icing before... help, i need a simple yet delicious mocha icing... icon_cry.gif
hope to get some response soon icon_redface.gif

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:01am
post #2 of 15

Highly rated mocha American b/c recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mocha-Icing/Detail.aspx

HTH

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:27am
post #3 of 15

everytime I've tried to make this recpie it always seperates (coffe from the rest) it taste delicious but it doesn't look right. If anyone has any pointers as to helping me making all the ingredients stick together; maybe this will also help " maimai16" in making the first time... Thanks is Advance.

maimai16 sorry I had to ask this question in your post, but like I said I've tried making this 2 times and it always comes out wrong... I know I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is yet...?

Take care

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 15

Here's a recipe I've used before and it always gets rave reviews:

Mocha Buttercream

1 Tbl instant coffee granules
1/4 c hot water
1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
3 Tbl cocoa
4 1/4 to 4 1/2 c sifted powdered sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract

* Disolve coffee granules in hot water, set aside to cool.

*Beat butter and cocoa at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar to butter mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Add add'l 1/4 cup powdered sugar, if necessary; beat until spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla.

~This recipe only makes 2 1/3 cups, so I double it to make and fill a 9 inch cake.~
Good luck!

cakesdelight Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 15

Thanks Margo for this recpie, I'm going to try this out tomorrow. I'm going to bake some cupcakes and fill them with Mocha Buttercream. Also I want to say that your instructions are so specific and NOW I think I know what I did wrong; I would add all of the powder sugar and then add the dissolved coffee. And your recepie says to add sugar and coffee alternatly. Thanks Again. I'll let you know how it came out...

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 15

I got this recipe from a Website and I do not remember where but I hope it help you!!!!

Mocha Buttercream Icing
Yield
Enough to cover two 8" or 9" round layers or one 13" x 9" cake
Ingredients
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half or milk, divided
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
Directions
Dissolve instant coffee in hot water. In a medium mixing bowl, add shortening and vanilla. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix ingredients until blended. Blend in 2 tablespoons half-and-half and dissolved instant coffee. Gradually blend in confectioners sugar and cocoa. Blend in remaining half-and-half until icing is smooth and of desired consistency.
Variations
Chocolate icing: Substitute instant coffee and hot water with 1 tablespoon half-and-half or milk.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 15

When I want mocha buttercream I use the Wilton Class Buttercream, chocolate variation. Instead of using water or milk I use cold coffee. when I know I need it I just ask my husband to brew an extra cup or 2 and stick it in the fridge and use that that day.

I should have been prepared but I can't find the recipe online and will have to look up my chocolate recipe if you are interested. I also make my class buttercream 1/2 regular shortning and 1/2 high ration shortning. I am very fond of the texture with this mixture.

maimai16 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:27am
post #8 of 15

thanks for all the response... =) CC rocks! =)

i am so greatfull to see your responses coz i'm going to assemble the cake tonight lol i'm going to try mlynnb's mocha buttercream coz i got all the ingredients, got no time to have a trip to our grocery =) thanks mlynnb =)

cakesdelight, i got scared with your mocha buttercream experience... hope "that's" the cause your prob on your first attemp... i'm keeping my fingers crossed now...

cakesdelight Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #9 of 15

maimai I hope you have a better experiance then I did. GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO. let us know how it went....

maimai16 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:39am
post #10 of 15

mlynnb, i have one question about your mocha butter cream recipe. what will be its final color? brown or mocha/khaki color?i need to know cause my friend doesnt like the chocolate-coffee flavor mocha... does this makes any sense? i don't know how to explain it lolz

to make things simpler, i'll attach a picture of the cake iced on my fiends preferred mocha =)
LL

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:03pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for asking this question, I too need this same thing for this up coming Saturday. I found a recipe but it calls for expresso powder and I couldn't find that anywhere. I'd rather try something that someone else has tried and liked. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

mlynnb Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

mlynnb, i have one question about your mocha butter cream recipe. what will be its final color? brown or mocha/khaki color?i need to know cause my friend doesnt like the chocolate-coffee flavor mocha... does this makes any sense? i don't know how to explain it lolz

It is definitley more brown than the pic you posted....it is a rich frosting, but sooo yummy. I don't usually like buttercream---I'm one of those who eats the cake and not the icing icon_redface.gif --but with this recipe I could ( and have) eat the icing right out of the bowl!
I hope this recipe works for you guys. One note, I have never used this for actually decorating a cake, ie borders, ect, just for icing. I usually use chocolate covered coffee bean for the decorations with this!

maimai16 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 15

mmm... i won't use it for piping... it will be the filling and crumb coat of the butter cake then cover it with rhonda's ultimate mmf. of course w/o the lemon extract, etc.... thanks again mlynnb... wish me luck, i am now going to make it tonight. i'll update you later.

maimai16 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 15

mlynnb mocha buttercream was great! though i adjusted it a bit. i used 3T coffee & 1T cocoa to achieve the color that we want. it did not separate at all and did not use all the powder sugar. i think the coffee made it thicker.all in all, it was easy to make and so yummy =)

mlynnb Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #15 of 15

I'm glad it worked for you!!! Have a great weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%