Dh Mixes, Wasc...what Is The Problem?

Decorating By Getus Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 4:35am by cocobean

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 7

Okay, so I've read some post saying that folks are not using the DH mixes for the WASC cakes....due to DH changing their formula.
My question is: exactly what is the problem with the new DH formula mixes and trying to make a WASC cake? Please explain.

I did try to do a search on my question...however...I have extremely slow dial up and it would literally take me hours to let the search do it's thing. So, sorry if this has been discussed to death previously. Just point me in the right direction with a link, if need be.

TIA! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 7

I only use Duncan Hines, and have never ever had a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 7

I have always used Pillsbury and it works like a charm. One day the store was out of the Pillsbury white, so I grabbed to DH for my Aunt's 3D bus cake. Gotta tell ya. The taste was ok, (I prefer Pillsbury, maybe it's the tummy of the Pillsbury Dough Boy!) but I didn't care for the texture of the DH WASC. I think the Pillsbury is much smoother and looks better too.
Just my opinion.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 7

I only use DH and don't have a problem. But I always add a tsp baking powder to the recipe and never have a problem. I had a couple sink before without the extra baking powder.

I think that it is all personal preference. Sometimes you get a bad cake mix.

Stephanie

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #5 of 7

I have had problems with DH since they changed a couple of years ago with the cake being way too soft and crumbly and not sturdy. But others have no problem with the DH at all. Go figure.

PS. My problem is an issue when i want to do fondant, not much of an issue with BC icing.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I only use DH and don't have a problem. But I always add a tsp baking powder to the recipe and never have a problem. I had a couple sink before without the extra baking powder.

I think that it is all personal preference. Sometimes you get a bad cake mix.

Stephanie

Thanks for the tip, I love the way DH cakes taste, but mine have sunk so many times! I'm going to try this next time.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #7 of 7

I always use Betty Crocker French Vanilla (wasc) with 6 whole eggs. Then buttercream flavored with creme bouquet. Everything smells and tastes delightful! People always comment on how good it smells when you first take it out of the box. (boxed if it is a small cake) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%