Cost Of Scratch Vs. Boxed Cake Mixes

Decorating By m1m Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm by morgnscakes

m1m Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I've always used boxed cake mixes, but have recently considered trying scratch.

For those of you who do scratch, how does the cost compare to using boxed mixes?

I'd love to hear input on this subject.
icon_lol.gif

8 replies
m1m Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 9

Anyone?

kelleym Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 9

It probably depends on the recipe, and where you shop. If you're talking an $0.86 cake mix plus 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil, that's probably the cheapest you can make a cake. But if you doctor your cake mix with additional ingredients, the cost starts to go up. Likewise, the cost of scratch would depend on the recipe. Recipes with butter will naturally be quite a bit more expensive than those without. The best thing to do is cost out your recipes based on your own grocery costs icon_smile.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 9

I make scratch cakes....I think it does cost more...depending on how you doctor the box mix...I don't have a problem with the mixes I just like to bake from scratch...I enjoy testing and changing recipes. I digress....back to your questions....I think scratch costs more. I spend A LOT of money on butter and sour cream for my cakes. But it's worth it to me...people just go crazy for these cakes....act like they have never had a scratch cake before.

JanH Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:28am
post #5 of 9

Where you live (in the world) and the types of stores you have access to will all impact significantly on cost of scratch vs. mix recipes.

In the U.K., for instance, U.S. cake mixes are pretty pricey (if available).

In the U.S., it really helps if you have access to any type of warehouse stores or purveyors of institutional sized food stuffs (such as Sam's Club or Gordon Food Service).

Also if you live in a medium/large urban area, your shopping options will be greater than if you live "out in the country" (as in Yuba, WI which has a population of 77).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

The best thing to do is cost out your recipes based on your own grocery costs icon_smile.gif

Whatever your best stock-up sale, bulk buying or coupon lowering prices are, they are. icon_smile.gif

HTH

morgnscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #6 of 9

We make all of our cakes from scratch. We used to use cake mixes, but have gone to scratch for the reason that we can give this area something that nobody else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

$0.86 cake mix plus 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil, that's probably the cheapest you can make a cake.

cake mix cakes will probably always be less expensive to make. I know that our scratch cakes are a little bit more costly, but our customer, friends and family love that they are not from a box. I love to experiment and bake, so I prefer scratch cakes.

m1m Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the informative responses. I appreciate it!

mbt4955 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 9

I use butter, sourcream, milk/buttermilk, chocolate, pudding, etc. in my box mixes, so I doubt that they are any cheaper than scratch. I always make chocolate from scratch, but seem to like the doctored white mix cakes more than scratch. Maybe I just haven't found THE white scratch recipe.

morgnscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

seem to like the doctored white mix cakes more than scratch.

I will have to say that nothing seems to beat duncan hines white cake mix. It is so moist!!! Most white cakes from scratch are a little drier than the cake mix and so many people have gotten used to the way the cake tastes using the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I use butter, sourcream, milk/buttermilk, chocolate, pudding, etc. in my box mixes, so I doubt that they are any cheaper than scratch.

Didn't mean any offense or anything, so let me clarify. I was speaking on just using the cake mix exactly as directed on the box. I do agree that if you doctor up your box mixes, you are going to be looking at a higher cost.

It all depends on what you want to do. Having done both box mixes at one time and from scratch now, I will have to say that the from scratch takes a little more time just because you have to measure out all of the flour and dry ingredients and most of the time sift them, whereas with a box mix, it's already done for you. And depending on where you are, the cost of your ingredients will play a big part.

Happy baking and decorating to all!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%