I Need A Different Baby Shower Cake Idea....

Decorating By Jayde Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm by BCo

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 17

Hey guys! I offered to donate a cake for a friend of mine's baby shower in lieu of actually going through the expense of throwing the whole shower. A couple of us girls decided to split the shower "chores", and I of course got the cake. Its not going to be a huge affair, around 20-30-ish people, but I want to do something nice.

Now since everyone is splitting everything, there isnt really a theme to the shower, but her room decor is Winnie the Pooh. I need idea help. I am brain farting on this one badly for some reason. I dont nessarily want to make Winnie, Piglet, etc. figures, but I wouldnt have a problem making teddy bear figures.

Help...I need a fresh idea!

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 17

pooh's "huny" pot? (sweetest child?)

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 17

got one in my pics if you want a look.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 17

My favorite baby cakes right now are the diaper bags. I did one and it was really fun to do and not that time consuming. That could be pretty neutral if you don't have a theme. Helipops does the coolest bags. There are lots of sweet pooh ones in the gallery.

Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 17

I could do a Pooh cake, but then everyone is going to ask me to make figures then....and I dont wanna, imagine the whiney voice.

I dont mind making figures, and its my lastest thing that I decided to conquer. I am not to bad at it (got a few in my pics), but I dont want to show up with a cake and have someone say 'Who is that supposed to be?" Its my greatest fear, I have nightmares about this.

I am thinking about a simple sheet cake with a bucket/bathtub in a corner and the towel, teddy, pacie, duckie, etc. on the floor? But Im not really happy with that idea either for some reason. Ugh, I am in an idea rut.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 17

Well since you don't want to make figures and her decor is Pooh, would this be a nice compromise?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1267418.html

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 17

I am a big fam of the baby bath cakes. Especially with the basin. It DOES involve a figurine of pooh....but just take a look! I think this is a super cute cake! Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=817493

I also like the diaper bag cake!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301232

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #8 of 17

What about something like this but using the Pooh colors? I got the chocolate mold from intotheoven.com
LL

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #9 of 17

I have a baby shower cake for this weekend and I made baby booties and a teddy bear .....I plan on doing 2 tiers with the booties and bear on top.....the top tier with a clothes line and baby clothes.....the bottom tier with a quilt pattern.....hope this helps

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #11 of 17

I really like the peek-a-boo pooh cake. The diaper one is good too if the mom is more into the contemporary styles. I really like the classic pooh theme myself. Where it's done in pastels and pooh isn't wearing that red shirt. You could do Baby Pooh. (i just realized how that sounded)

Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

What about something like this but using the Pooh colors? I got the chocolate mold from intotheoven.com

I LOVE intotheoven.com! They have such great prices on satin ice, and their shipping isnt outrageous either. That might be an idea to consider.

I thought of doing CT's too. I have all of the melts already, so I wouldnt have to go out and buy a bunch more.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, these are some awesome cakes.

I am just not coming up with anything yet....

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 17

Here is a cake I made for a baby shower with bears and booties
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272383

I also made this Winne the Pooh cake for a first birthday. It does include figures but I think it is different and not one you would see everyday!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275804

Hope this helps

HeatherBecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBecker Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #14 of 17

What about doing a onesie with a bib and other baby stuff.....or I like to see what is on the napkins and plates and then match it to the cake. I dd one where the napkins were basically just baby colors with stripes and polka dots. I did a simpler version for the cake and it looked perfect for the shower. It is in my pictures.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 17

I did two of the same Pooh cakes ( one boy and one girl) and it was simple. The colors matched the plates/napkins/etc. that are out right now. For Pooh I just used the pin prick method to transfer him on and then just filled in with buttercream. Not as cool as some of the other, but it's an idea!
LL
LL

Jayde Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 17

I like your idea Bturpin. I think I am going to do something similar, but with a chocolate transfer on top.

I was thinking all elaborate, and making figures and stuff, but I just dont want people to get the wrong idea. I like my friend a lot, but if I go crazy making these kinds of things for free, then my friends start to expect that, and then they are asking for what 'so and so' got on her cake, and before you know it I am making $100's of dollars worth of figures and flowers giving them away for free.

I want something that I can just do, that I can whip up in an hour or two, and if I make those CT's ahead of time then all I have to do is frost border, and decorate. I think I will make some bees and butterflies to go on the sides as well.

Thanks for bringing me down to earth guys. I know this sounds weird and concieted, but I dont really feel like I am good at too many things. Doing cakes has changed that a lot. My friends go gaga over them, and they get very impressed by what I can do. I am ashamed to admit that I tend to go over board on designs for them, just so I can impress them sometimes.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 17

That sounds like a perfect plan! I think that will impress them even with the chocolate transfers - it's funny some of the simplest things impress people, like a chocolate transfer! Just remember, you have a talent that they don't, you're going to knock their socks off to matter what! And I totally get you with giving away things for almost free (or free) just to impress or make the cake your vision! I have done that on numerous occassions and I'm always getting yelled at by my family to stop doing that and start charging more! Sometimes what I see in my head ends up being more work then I originally thought or that something extra would just put it over the top and I do it anyway and don't charge for it! I think a lot of us do that - we need to STOP!! LOL Can't wait to see how it turns out for you, I know it will be great! I am in the same boat as you with thinking I'm not really good at any one thing. And I still think that with my cakes b/c I am comparing myself to the great talent on here and I think of all the things I don't know how to do still - but the non-cakers in my life that don't know about this world think I'm pretty good at what I do icon_biggrin.gif Be proud of your work, they wouldn't ask you to make the cake if they didn't recognize your talent! And then smile inside knowing you are great! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%