Treasure Chest

Decorating By macksnax Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:29am by JodieF

macksnax Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 4

i need some help with a treasure chest cake i need to make this weekend. how do i keep the top open??? any tips or help would be appreciated. thank you.

3 replies
icer101 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 4

there are some beautiful ones on this site... find the one you like.. pm the person.. they will graciously reply... i do this anytime i need anyones help on how they did their cake.. hth

mixinvixen Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 4

i just posted one i did for my daughter this weekend. i molded the top out of rice krispies on a cardboard cake board.

i first put dowels down into the back part of the chest part, and made corresponding holes with a screwdriver up through the cake board and through the rice krispies.

then i took two more dowels and put them through the middle of the lid, about one inch or so in from the sides.

you should now have a chest that has two dowels sticking up out of the back, and a seperate lid that has two dowels sticking out of the bottom.

gently lay the back of the chest down, lining up the pre-drilled holes in the cake board with the dowels sticking up out of the chest. now set the dowels coming down out of the lid into the areas of the cake that lines up, and then gently push on the whole lid...

sounds kind of wonky, i know...sorry.

JodieF Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

For mine, the lid was cake, with RKT's molded to make the rounded top, sitting on top of the lid cake. It was all on a cake board. I put dowels level with the main cake at the back, then more dowels, slightly taller, working their way to the front. There were 3 rows of dowels across and front to back, making 9 dowels. The ones at the front stuck up maybe 2 inches. Once I got to the site, I just gently sat the lid on top of the chest, and then added the brown sugar sands, jewels and such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%