Help! Ganache Didnt Work...why?!

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm by dogwood

Jeannie21 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 9

Ok so i made the "white chocolate rum whipped ganache" in the cc recipe section and I did exactly what it said, but when I whipped it, it would NOT get stiff, it just stayed thin. so i kept my KA goin for a long time ,thinking it just took awhile but when i came back it was all curdly and thin still...what did I do wrong?
Anyway I need this cake done tonite, so does anyone have a quick easy No fail recipe for a ganache? Ill have to make it just choc in stead of white choc this time cuz i dont have anymore white choc.
Can I use semi sweet chocolate chips?

TIA!

8 replies
crisseyann Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 9

bump

hammer1 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

did you use candy coating or real white chocolate. i have not done the one on this site, but i do a lot of ganache and i have whipped it many times. i set my mixing bowl in a bowl of ice cubes to cool it down so it will whip, maybe you should try that with the white chocolate ganache you are trying to whip....if not 8 oz semi sweet chips into 1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream. good luck.
hammer1

smbegg Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 9

Did you chill it?

Stephanie

saap1204 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #5 of 9

I would use 12 oz semi sweet chips (1 bag) with 9 oz of heavy cream. I always use more chocolate than cream when making ganache. It has to cool off (I put it in the frig) to thicken for at least a few hours.

HTH

Sheryl

Jeannie21 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone, maybe i didnt let it chill long enough. And i used the wilton white chocolate discs so that may be why too. Ok ill try again! thanks for the help! icon_biggrin.gif

dogwood Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

Did the curdling occur after you put the liquor in? I tried to make some white chocolate ganache w/Chambord in it. It curdled when I poured the Chambord in and it wouldn't whip up. I had to throw it all in the gargage! icon_cry.gif

hammer1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #8 of 9

i believe the white wilton discs are candy coating not white chocolate. that is what i tried to use the first time and was so dissappointed. don't give up, get the good stuff, white chocolate baking bars etc ( real white chocolate).

dogwood Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 9

I was using Gheradelli's (sp?) white chocolate and it wasn't cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%