Need Advice On How To Handle This Type Of Inquiry, Thanks.

Business By DiscoLady Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 1:42am by Bethkay

DiscoLady Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 12

I received the following email from someone who works at a local children's party place:
comments = Hello, I would like to talk about prices that we could give parties regarding your cakes at Pump It UP. I know you have dropped off a few cards with Carolina our manager and would like to know what kind of prices you would give us if we offer a regular birthday cake in our packages. Please call me. We do have a large refrigerator where we could place them.

I don't know what questions to ask or what prices to seek...any tips would be greatly appreciated...

11 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 12

I would give them the prices you normally charge anyone else.

indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 12

Sounds like they are wanting a hard-n-fast price to be able to quote their clients (instead of the "depends on design" answer a lot of cakers usually give).

I'd offer them 2-3 options, such as:

8" round 2-layer white or choc cake, white BC icing with flowers and "H.B. Suzie" .... $xx.xx Serves (insert numbers). (10" round .. serves XX ... $xx.xx)

8" or 10" round in fondant design .. add $xx.xx

9x13 sheets, serves 20-24, $xx.xx
11x15 sheets, serves 25-35, $xx.xx

Just come up with a pre-determined "menu" where they can tell their clients, "pick one of these cakes".

DiscoLady Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 12

Thanks so much ladies...I wsa thinking of maybe a cupcake idea as well...what do you think?

indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 12

Oh cupcakes for a kid birthday place is a great idea!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 12

I would find out just what they expect from you to. Are we talking 10+ cakes a week? Sounds to me like they want to be able to be a one stop shop.. nice for them (and possibly you too) but you have to be able to keep up with the demand. I wouldn't go over the top with the cakes.. simple iced with borders and happy birthday written on them. You want to make sure that you will have enough time to still persue your own clients too. Make sure that you charge them enough to make it worth it too. I wouldn't mess with fondant.. just do buttercream.. kids like buttercream and can't appreciate fondant work so I'd skip it.

Above all just make sure this is a working partnership that works for you. Get it ALL in writing too.

cakesdivine Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 12

What debi said. Select a few sizes and/or cupcake cakes (sell in dozen increments) to accommodate small to large parties. A few basic decor choices for them to choose from, 2 or 3 flavor choices. I would offer sheet cakes and cup cake cakes...rounds are harder to store and honestly an 8" 2 layer round is the same amount of cake as a 1/4 sheet cake. I'd offer quarters & half sheets, cupcake cake designs with 12 or 24 or 36 cupcakes or offer cupcakes by the dozen.

Juds2323 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 12

One thing that also comes to mind - Will they be posting that the cakes are from you (i.e. cakes provided by....)? I don't have a business but I would want my name to be associated with the cakes as the Parents attending won't necessarily be having their kids birthday there and if they like the cake or the parent of the current party wants something a little more than standard could contact you.

sweetcakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 12

i had one contact me a week or two ago too. they said the place they got there cakes from was getting sloppy and didn;t like the designs, so i gave her my price and it was double what she was paying already, so she's not interested, which is fine with me. I expect they are looking for a bargin and also they will want you to deliver.

Auryn Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 12

i would also make sure that you include something about timing- as in how much advance notice you need from them, just in case they are looking for someone to do last minute kind of stuff

DiscoLady Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 12

This is great info ladies...I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif
My mind is spinning...

Bethkay Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #12 of 12

Just going to jump in here because both of my college-age daughters have worked at our local Pump it Up. The kids who have to work the party rooms serving the cakes, etc., LOVE cupcakes, because they are so much easier to serve. The employees often have to cut the cakes, and my daughters just hated it when someone came in with a Barbie cake, or something that was difficult to slice. Other than that, I completely agree on just giving them a basic menu to choose from.

Our Pump it Up can get absolutely crazy with one party after the next on weekends, so limiting how many of those orders you take might also be a good idea. You could find your entire business turning into birthday cakes for 5-year-olds!

Quote by @%username% on %date%