Meatloaf Cake???

Baking By LadyMike Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 1:31am by LadyMike

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hello CC Family,

I need your help PLEASE!

Quite a while ago, there was a thread that had links to Martha Stewart's Meatloaf cake, as well as another one or two (sorry, I can't remember whose cakes those were).

I have had a request for a "cake" for an older couple who both have diabetes so they don't want any "real" cake and they really don't like anything sugar-free. icon_confused.gif

I told the customer that I remembered something about a meatloaf cake with mashed potatoes for frosting, etc. She loves the idea and wants me to make one for them.

The problem is - I CAN'T FIND IT!!!! I've done searches but nothing comes up that I recognize. I'm hoping that the thread I remember wasn't lost during the "crash".

I guess I could just use my meatloaf recipe and wing it but I'd love to have a couple of recipes to give me some ideas as to how these were done. I'm afraid mine might fall apart in the stacking, icing, etc.

If anyone remembers the thread I'm talking about or even where I can go to find any info on these, please send me in the right direction.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

simple --

make you usual meat loaf recipe -- big enough to fill two 9" pans (or can do smaller like 8" or even 6" -- adjust recipe amt.)

then plop that stuff into the pan and smoosh nice and flat (hint: take another pan same size and push it down on top of the mix to press out level.

bake until done (usual temps for this thing -- cut open w/ knife in center to check for done)

cool and turn out.

there -- you have your two layers.

----

on to the "frosting"

peel potatoes (cue stripper music!)

cook potatoes

smash potatoes (not a time to imitate that infamous Lucy smashes grapes scene!)

then add the goodies.

I vote for cream cheese and butter! (hey --- they can't have sugar so they have to be "bad" somehow!) (now if my sister was making this - it would be 16 oz of cream cheese and 1/2 lb of butter for every 5lbs of potatoes!)

start whipping and adding milk or cream until they nice and smooth and about the consistency of buttercream.

let cool -- they will stiffen up as they do, esp. if you add cream cheese.

adjust stiffness with more milk or cream -- do as would for buttercream.

break out the tips, couplers, bags.

and then use your "frosting" mashed potatoes just like you would buttercream....(including a squirt for the decorator! -- gotta do quality control ya know!)

some goes between layers like normal filling

then coat outside and smooth

then deco to hearts content.

viola "a cake"

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 4

I saw a store featured on Cupcakes Take the Cake blog that sold all savory cupcakes - meatloaf, bacon omelette, etc. Maybe you could make them a cupcake tree? Then you could do the mashed potatoes as a swirl on each one, looking even more like frosting. Bacon bit and chive sprinkles? icon_smile.gif

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 4

OMG Doug! LOL! You are too funny! I love it! Thank you sooo much! That's kinda what I had in mind. You are great! BTW, I like your sister's style and I just happen to have some cream cheese.

KrissieCakes - Thank you! Those are some great ideas! I think I'll go with the cake, but I am going to use the ideas about the bacon and chives, and I think I'll add some cheese too. Thanks for helping me "wow" 'em.

Don't you just love our CC Family?!?!? Thanks again, so very much!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%