How Do I Reserve A Business Name?

Business By andpotts Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 3:09am by cakelady99

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to reserve or trademark a business name, do you have to have a lawyer? I do not have a business, but am slowly getting together a plan and would hate to lose the name I have come up with. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Andrea

6 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 7

You would contact your department of state corporate division (that's how it is in NH anyway).. you can reserve a name quite easily. Trademarking something is more difficult.. and you likely wouldn't need one, but you would contact the US Patent and Trademark Office.

ribby0224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribby0224 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

Try your Secretary of State website. You will need to file for a Ficticious Name or DBA (doing business as) You need to do a name search first to make sure that no one else has registered that name already. It cost me $7.00 to register a name in Missouri.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 7

Good info! Thanks!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

Thank you both so much!! this is the greatest place ever, I feel so lost and unknowing sometimes and every single time I ask for help someone here comes through! thumbs_up.gif Thank you, I will be following up with the suggested agencies tomorrow!

I just want to save the name not trademark it, don't know why I said that. Andrea

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 7

Here is the link for your state to file for your name.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/faqtradename.html

Hope this helps.

cakelady99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady99 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 7

If you need to register the domain name you can use register.com. I'm sure there are many others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%