How Do I Reserve A Business Name?

Business By andpotts Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 3:09am by cakelady99

andpotts Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to reserve or trademark a business name, do you have to have a lawyer? I do not have a business, but am slowly getting together a plan and would hate to lose the name I have come up with. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Andrea

6 replies
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 7

You would contact your department of state corporate division (that's how it is in NH anyway).. you can reserve a name quite easily. Trademarking something is more difficult.. and you likely wouldn't need one, but you would contact the US Patent and Trademark Office.

ribby0224 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

Try your Secretary of State website. You will need to file for a Ficticious Name or DBA (doing business as) You need to do a name search first to make sure that no one else has registered that name already. It cost me $7.00 to register a name in Missouri.

cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 7

Good info! Thanks!

andpotts Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

Thank you both so much!! this is the greatest place ever, I feel so lost and unknowing sometimes and every single time I ask for help someone here comes through! thumbs_up.gif Thank you, I will be following up with the suggested agencies tomorrow!

I just want to save the name not trademark it, don't know why I said that. Andrea

cakesdivine Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 7

Here is the link for your state to file for your name.

Hope this helps.

cakelady99 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 7

If you need to register the domain name you can use I'm sure there are many others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%