How Do I Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By CDB26 Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:07am by CDB26

CDB26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CDB26 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 10

I am still new to cake decorating and was wondering how to get the fondant really black. I like to make my own mmf but just didn't think that black food coloring would be enough to make it really really black. Any suggestions???

9 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

It will take A LOT of black coloring to get a true black. If you could start with a chocolate fondant, it will lessen the amount of color that you have to use.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 10

I also make MMF....add some chocolate to it...I use I think about 6 oz of dark chocolate 60% and then add the black color....I usually add a bottle of the gel when I'm in the middle of mixing the MMF b/c it's easier for me to do it then instead of waiting unitl it sets out and cools off...it gets harder to knead....hope this helps

ChicagoAlex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChicagoAlex Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 10

I have also been told to add purple coloring first. That also lessens the amount of black you have to use because the base of the black is Purple. That is how I have gotten all of the deep black in my photos.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoAlex

I have also been told to add purple coloring first. That also lessens the amount of black you have to use because the base of the black is Purple. That is how I have gotten all of the deep black in my photos.

I did this too it worked perfect and it was my first time using MMF and adding colour ..however I did do the purple first I let is sit over night to darken more then I added the black it was perfect!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

I use to buy my black fondant but now I make chocolate MMF and then add wilton black paste color and I get really nice fondant.

I hope I this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
LL

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 10

start with chocolate fondant, and when your liquids (or marshmallows if making mmf) are still separate, add a little black gel to that so you dont have to kneed it in later and stain your hands. much easier.

americolor black is also stronger than wilton if you can get it.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 10

if your fondant recipe calls for cocoa, use hersheys dark cocoa and the fondant will come out really really dark...

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

if your fondant recipe calls for cocoa, use hersheys dark cocoa and the fondant will come out really really dark...

That is what I use thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CDB26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CDB26 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will give them a try and hope they work out for me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%