Anyone Want To Chat About The Elvis Challange Last Night?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm by stephaniescakenj

justfrosting Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 9

Warning...I may say things that are contraversial about DUFF. But I am loving me some of Mike...

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 9

Yah, I agree w/your warningicon_wink.gif Sorry to hear Mike (I think it was) had a stroke.

sugarshack Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 9

no, it was norm davis

kansaswolf Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 9

I think they definitely got the winner right, but I wish we could have seen that sugar guitar make it to the table... Sad... That would have been more of a tossup, IMO...

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9

I loved that much, I've watched it several times as it is quite an old episode. Duff is cool...he doesn't play by the rules. I love that he shocks the judges. Of course, most of what he does cannot be literally translated in everyday baking/decorating, it's a show, glitz, glamour, hype, that's it. To take him seriously, most times would be silly.

shelly-101 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 9

me and my 11 year old son watched it last night i was rooting for mike and my son loves duff so he was rooting for duff.

kansaswolf Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah, it was a show from '06, but I'd never seen it before, so it was all new to me! icon_lol.gif

I think Duff is HILARIOUS, whether or not his cakes are as detailed as some... Watching him got me started in cake decorating, because I realized that it's not JUST for Wilton buttercream rose experts... icon_biggrin.gif (I was never good at those...) I did my first carved cake after watching him do one... Now that I'm more of a "serious" cake decorator, I find my detail inspirations other places (HELLOOOO Mike's Amazing Cakes, among others!), but Duff's show reminds me how FUN this can be! Not to mention I love his "out of the box" thinking on cakes... Parallels my take on cake... icon_biggrin.gif

justfrosting Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

I have yet to see Duff do much of anything! I know his friends--especially that cutie pie Jeff-- are cake gods, but Duff never wins, his stuff always breaks or falls over.

He is funny and crazy and a show-man, but not so much a decorator that I have seen.

Hope I am not flamed for this...

I wish Mike could have his own show...What I really want to do is just sleep outside his shop until he agrees to teach me...

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 9

Oh I would totally watch Mike's show if he had one. I watched a special on him once, I don't remember what it was but it always stuck in my mind. he made something weird, a cell phone maybe. I can't remember but he's ALWAYS amazing.
duff uses too much fondant, layers upon layers of the stuff so by the time the cake is complete, it appears to be more fondant than cake. yuck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%