Help With 3D/carved Cake Please

Decorating By DiscoLady Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 11:49am by preciosa225

DiscoLady Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 13

I've been asked to make a 3D cake of the Louis Vuitton logo (See photo) lying flat of course.
How would you do this? Would you carve it from one cake or do it in pieces? The very thin piece at the bottom is puzzling me also. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks icon_smile.gif
LL

12 replies
ski Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 13

I would just do a 16" Square and carve one piece or larger depending on servings. Then cover in fondant or candyclay.as you do the inside parts use the cut and roll method; ribbon cutter, rolled up, then rolled out along the edges. Cakelady 's idea would also work bottom tier then the logo carved.Would be an awesome presentation esp if you did the bottom in black and then silver painted logo WoW! Lucks makes a great silver.

DiscoLady Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks ski,
Any more ideas out there??? Pleeeeeeeeeeease icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeMakar Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 13

Wow, that's not going to leave much cake....how many servings are you needing?

I don't think I'd carve it, I'd piece it together with strips of cake.

DiscoLady Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 13

she wants 15-20 servings...

CakeMakar Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 13

Wow, that makes it more difficult. I'd do the thinner parts out of something different. Maybe gumpaste? Only leave the thickest part of the designs in cake. The serifs (the sticking out parts on the top & bottom) and the bottom of the L in gumpaste.

Doug Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 13

this may help....

it's based on a 9x13 cake -- tho' using the technique I describe, it will scale up for other size sheets cakes as well.

----
1) get a copy of the logo (it's all over the internet, just google it)

2A) import into some program that will let you crop it and blow it up so the pink section is the LENGTH of the sheet cake and then print it out. MS Publisher makes this very easy as it can start w/ any custom size page and then print it out on multiple "tiles" (aka standard sheets of paper) that you then cut and paste together to get the final full size image ---

-or-

2B) print it out and hie thee to a photocopier and enlarge it until the pink section is the length of the cake.

3) chop it up into the sections shown

4) put sections on cake and cut cake to match

5) assemble as per the diagram

6) note -- on the assembled diagram -- see the little black rounded areas at the ends of the letters -- build those up with extra icing.

and there you have it.

----
as always, gray areas are for making cruffles (aka cake balls -- stole that from someone on here -- great name!)

tho' in this case, I'd dip them in white chocolate, hit w/ some pearl dust and arrange as a string of pearls around/over the logo. (which would of course allow me to charge beaucoup bucks for this cake!)

-----

LINK TO FULL SIZE IMAGE: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1301521.html
LL

doughdough Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #8 of 13

Another way to do the thinner parts would be to use Rice Krispie Treats. They are WAY sturdier than cake would be!

Frankyola Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 13

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif , woooow Doug this is really cool, thank you so much onother one to practice thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 13

I want to see the finished cake!! I must say, I've never even conceived of the idea of a Louis Vuitton menorah!! What will they think of next?? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Onome Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone. Maybe one day I will attempt this.

alvarezmom Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the Diagram Doug

preciosa225 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:49am
post #13 of 13

Genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%