Freeze Cakes Without Deforming Them?

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 6

I love freezing my uniced cakes but they always come out deformed! icon_mad.gif Then it makes it such a pain to ice.

Any suggestions?

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

Be careful how you wrap them to cover closely but keep the shape perfect. I double wrap with plastic then slide into those baking bags too. Then be real careful during the freezing process so nothing squishes up against it. Once it's frozen you still gotta watch it but you can stack another cake on top.

Iva1976 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

You're probably wrapping it too tight....that happened to me the first time I wrapped a cake. Just make sure you wrap it lightly and it will hold it's shape. I wrap my cakes at least 3 times with saran wrap, but I don't use aluminum foil because I feel it deforms the cake. I hope this helps!

kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 6

Besides wrapping it well but not tightly, have a flat spot in the fzr to put it (on a tray?) until it is solid. Then be sure you don't put anything on top of it until it is solid.

Price Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with the previous posts. I had trouble at first with the edges of my cake getting deformed. I was wrapping the plastic too tight. I now gently wrap mine in 2 layers of plastic wrap and then aluminum foil (but not too tight). I then put it in the freezer on a flat cookie tray and I'm careful that it is put in the freezer flat and not touching anything else.

aswartzw Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 6

So I must be wrapping it too tight. Scares me that it'll dry out if I wrap it looser but I trust you guys! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%