Omg--I'm So Crying Here

Business By -K8memphis Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 21

I turn down cakes, say a couple a month, sometimes once a week for a period, ebbs & flows a little. Recently it was three cakes in one week.

Three cakes in one week. Nope sorry, not licensed.

Three times in less than seven days I had to say no sorry can't do. Technicalities beyond my control.

Two sculptures and a wedding cake. Three total. One girl wanted me to go 'all out' bwoowhahaha. Yeah, oh well, sorry.

My former boss calls me several times a year to see if she can funnel me work.

I get emails and requests that I cannot fill because of the commercial zoning regulations in my county. The overhead wipes me out before I can start blablabladeebla.

I appreciate the fact that it does prevent my neighbor from being able to stock a pig farm on his front lawn but as far as cakes, well you know the drill.

So all that to say major changes occured where I work, at a (my) church bookstore so I can bake there now and I have received the first email inquiry that I don't have to turn down.

If you've never been here--you have no idea.

But I just always bink over to my website email to see if there have been any nibbles over there and there it was tonight.

Pretty cool.

Staramystar, this one's dedicated to you, CakeBuddy. You're 27, I'm 57. It can happen. We'll see if I can land it. It's just a sweet info request at the moment.

Geez, gotta get my you know what together!

And that concludes another gripping episode of "As the Turntable Turns"
We now return you to your regularly scheduled message board...

20 replies
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 21

Good for you, k8memphis. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

Am doing the happy dance that you were able to make your dream a reality. (Believe me, that's quite a sight!) icon_lol.gif

You GO Girl!!!!! princess.gifbirthday.gifjudge.gif
(Just an effusive expression, no disrespect intended. You GO Woman sounds like a threat...)

janelwaters Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:24am
post #3 of 21

That is SO AMAZING!!! I am so happy for you and have total cake envy at the same time!!

cakesdelight Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:40am
post #4 of 21

I'm HAPPY for you!!!

KellBell22 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #5 of 21

SO happy for you!! I'm new here, but that's the completion of a dream!!! Congratulations and hoping that this is the start of many more orders for you!!!! thumbs_up.gifparty.gifprincess.gif

milissasmom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:07am
post #6 of 21

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! Blessings as you move forward! thumbs_up.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 21

WONDERFUL!!! Another happy dance here for you!! party.gifprincess.gifking.gif Congratulations on realizing your dream!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 21

OMG Kate how wonderful!!! I am so hapy for you. I know how much this means to you. I'll be sending you happy cake consult vibes.. I hope you land it. ((hugs)) Congratulations on your kitchen!!!

stephaniescakenj Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 21

WOOHOO!!!! I love reading your posts and this one was the greatest! I'm going through the struggles of looking for kitchen space too so I can only hope to be in your shoes someday soon. I was so peeved when we bought our latest house, it had a second kitchen since it was previously a two family, I thought, this is it! I can finally start up my biz... nope, damn state won't allow it.

I wish you all the luck in finally getting licensed!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 21

Wow thanks guys so much.

I just told my husband I got a cake order that I don't have to turn down. I mean it's as cool as it is/was cruel to have a following when you can't use it and it doesn't go away. He was already asleep last night. He usually winces and it makes him feel bad so I hardly ever even tell him anymore. Only when I wanna get under his skin--How incredibly twisted is that. icon_biggrin.gif
He goes that's a strange feeling. We don't have to go hide under the couch anymore? icon_lol.gif Guess not, DudeBuddy.

Thank you, guys, Very Much.

majormichel Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 21

k8memphis, wishing all the best.

cas17 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 21

congratulations and sending good cake vibes to you!!

jjkarm Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 21

That's fantastic!!!! Onward and upward from here on! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 21

That's wonderful!!

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 21

littlecake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 21

can't wait till the next episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so happy for you kate!

kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 21

Aaaaaaahhhhh K8 that's great! icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 21

Joyfull4444 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 21

Wonderful news! That sticky old door has finally opened!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #20 of 21
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

WONDERFUL!!! Another happy dance here for you!! party.gifprincess.gifking.gif Congratulations on realizing your dream!

ditto this and all the other congrats comments! yes, we do know how excited you! Go, girl!!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks guys incredibly much.

The old grey hormonal lady is sucking it up now bracing for the next bump in the road. hahaha. I know it's right around the next corner, unless it's already falling from the sky gonna hit me in the head. icon_lol.gif And that's all good.

In the meantime, finalizing the sales tax number and business license today. icon_biggrin.gif Already had my fein. Then it's off to make nice with the health department.

Y'all are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%