What Was This Cake Decorator Thinking.. I Am Speechless

Decorating By TheCornerBakery Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm by -Tubbs

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:50am
post #1 of 31

Hi to all my cake peeps,
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say WTF?

Below are what has to go down in history as one of the most tragic wedding cake stories ever to unfold.

1) the first cake pictured is the one the bride ordered, paid for, was expecting at her wedding

2) the second picture is actually the cake that was brought to the reception as the cake ordered, set up and left there.

This was not a joke or prank it was sadly very real.

I would personally like to know the name of the person who would place such a pile of %$#@ on a table, walk away from it and expect to be paid.

30 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #2 of 31

Remember seeing this cake discussed previously.... icon_lol.gif

Believe it made the rounds via email initially but I could be mistaken.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 31

Umm...words escape me.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #4 of 31

That has to be a joke. If not that's just sad for the bride and the decorator icon_cry.gif

TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #5 of 31

I am sorry if I am talking about old news JanH. I just saw it this past week and had to get people thoughts on what was going on with this?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:28am
post #6 of 31

I would have been one p--sed Bride, OOOOOOH I would have probably UUUUUUHM that B.

TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #7 of 31

and it was really no joke or prank it actually happened.. How crazy is that?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 31

Wow..she would have NEVER lived to decorate or DESTROY another cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:49am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelanthony

I am sorry if I am talking about old news JanH. I just saw it this past week and had to get people thoughts on what was going on with this?

It was quite awhile ago, but there are so many new members who haven't seen it, that it's new again! icon_biggrin.gif

I just can't remember the particulars (if there were any). icon_redface.gif

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:50am
post #10 of 31

um...wow...well..maybe it tasted good?!?! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I can't imagine showing my face with that cake..no way..I just feel bad for both the bride and the decorator..that is just sad..

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:59am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelanthony

Hi to all my cake peeps,
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say WTF?

Below are what has to go down in history as one of the most tragic wedding cake stories ever to unfold.

1) the first cake pictured is the one the bride ordered, paid for, was expecting at her wedding

2) the second picture is actually the cake that was brought to the reception as the cake ordered, set up and left there.

This was not a joke or prank it was sadly very real.

I would personally like to know the name of the person who would place such a pile of %$#@ on a table, walk away from it and expect to be paid.

I have had a couple students in my classes who had learning disability's...one lady was very proud of her work, as bad as it looked to us all she saw was a beautiful work of art that she created in her eyes...Since she did have obvious learning disability's and was very sensitive, we all went along with her, especially after her crying in class cause she struggled to make rose's, and she wanted so bad to do so she could make an anniversary cake for her parents..mind you she was in her mid 40's and them in their early 80's....so they praised her work and efforts in every way to keep her encouraged through out her life...I worked very hard with her over the course of our classes till she finally could almost make a rose and she made her parents anniversary cake and threw them a party at a fine restaurant...everyone who attended PLUS the employees praised her work, the manager even told her if they did cakes there she would be his head baker..In reality the cake was a disaster, but to her it was as beautiful as any cake she ever saw in her life, she took pictures of it around with her and was always telling everyone she could decorate cakes..not to mention she worked at Ryan's Buffet in the bakery dept setting out the desserts, and even they encouraged her work...so from that stemmed in her that she was a professional cake decorator and she boasted about her self in that aspect...This cake looks like something she would have done and been very proud of, and would have very well walked away feeling she did her best and it looked close enough to the picture just as the bride would have wanted it to be...

I don't think the person who done the cake would have presented it if they had not thought it was as near perfect as what the bride wanted it to be...it looks like someone's works who was not in their right mind, but had good intentions...

Looks to me like the bride or referral thereof would have checked out the decorators portfolio and references before hiring someone who said they could do it... Wonder if anyone knows any history behind the pictures, maybe it could have been a child or slow family member who the bride allowed to do the cake???

Either way, I say God Bless the Bride and Decorator...

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #12 of 31

If I remember correctly - the decorator had a drinking problem/drug addiction and the bride took her to court and obviously won.

Someone please correct me if I' wrong....

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:44am
post #13 of 31

for more of the same, and some with a twist check out cake wrecks.
her commentary is hysterical!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:16am
post #14 of 31

I saw this shocking display on cakewrecks.com

debydll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debydll Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:24am
post #15 of 31

icon_eek.gif I can´t believe it!!I´m speachless too!!

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 31

I can not find it on cakewrecks...
Help! I so want to read about this...

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 31

The post on cakewrecks is titled Inspiration vs persperation. HTH

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 31

as bad as it looks, it looks like the cake had no support system and completely collapsed.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysugarwish

as bad as it looks, it looks like the cake had no support system and completely collapsed.

That's exactly how it looks to me.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:32pm
post #20 of 31

YEs, I saw this on cake wrecks. The "decorator" was drunk and she is being sued. The sister of the bride i think sent it in to cake wrecks.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 31

Same here, it does not even look like it has separator plates. Poor Bride and Groom, and also the decorator, does anyone knows if this cake was ordered from a business or cake shop? If yes, would it still be open? Just curious,

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

If I remember correctly - the decorator had a drinking problem/drug addiction and the bride took her to court and obviously won.

Someone please correct me if I' wrong....

I seem to remember the bride being involved in the commentary on Cakewrecks, but it was so long ago I have forgotten.

I do hope the alcohol flowed freely at this reception. Then, maybe nobody noticed!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 31

Oh my gosh! That's all I have to say! Just over and over.. oh my gosh!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 31

The first time I saw that cake on cakewrecks I laughed so hard I cried. the bride herself comments waaaaaaay down below the picture and tells the story.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

The first time I saw that cake on cakewrecks I laughed so hard I cried. the bride herself comments waaaaaaay down below the picture and tells the story.

Man oh man, that's the story I want to hear!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #26 of 31

On Cakewreacks, the Bride actually responded (in the comments section). The decorator blamed it on a car accident. (Yes, the explains the crappy Crisco frosting and the ugly buttercream stripes!) They did have to sue her to get their money back, but never did get it because she declared bankruptcy! She even gave the decorator's name!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #27 of 31

I remember this cake too..I thought the story was the cake was pourly decorated with the strips and such to begin with, but this photo was taken after it had colaspe onto itself (no dowels)

TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:25pm
post #28 of 31

Here is the link on CakeWrecks to the original story and comments

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/07/inspiration-vs-perspiration.html

TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #29 of 31

here is some more information on what happened from a coworker of the groom

Anonymous said...
Oh my gosh! I almost fell off the couch when I saw this post! I actually work with the Groom who had this cake at his wedding. He had shown us this pic when me and my husband were planning our wedding and we were just as incredulous as everyone on here.

To clear up a few points - they didn't pick this baker at the last minute... They actually picked her 6 months ahead of the wedding and, based on pictures she showed them of other cakes she had made, trusted that she could get the job done.

Needless to say, that trust was misplaced. The baker evidently had some personal issues a few days before the wedding and tried to throw (and I use this term loosely) the cake together at the last minute. She claimed that it had "melted" some due to the temperature (what, did she take a fire torch to it?) If I remember correctly, it arrived without the ugly red stripe. She tried to "fix" it after delivery and that was the outcome.

Truly a "cake wreck"...I'll have to show this to my co-worker - he laughs about it now (great sense of humor) and he'll be pleased to see it bring joy and pain to others as well!

TheCornerBakery Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #30 of 31

here is what the bride had to say about this cake

said...
I really wish I would have thought of publishing the baker's name and photo in the paper.
Yes, I am the lucky bride for whom this cake was so carefully and thoughtfully prepared.
Our wedding was in Southern California, and believe it or not, this cake was NOT melted, it was ACTUALLY put together this way! I CRIED when I saw it. The worst part was that it had been set up before the guest arrived and of course, that was about 45 minutes before WE arrived. So, that monstrosity was was sitting out for all the guests to admire long before we were able to whisk it off, safely out of site.
The fact that someone I don't even know posted this on a website is hilarious!
As for suing the talented baker, yes, we had to sue. The best part about that was that she stated that "it wasn't that bad when she dropped it off"... UM, YES IT WAS!!! Well, needless to say, she was forced to return our money (duh) and for some reason, the judge wouldn't grant me emotional distress (WHY???). AND, the baker filed BANKRUPTCY and we never got our money back.
Yes, she DID bake us a sample cake and brought it to our house and it was GORGEOUS! I also looked at a photo album of all her work and it was also lovely. I have no idea what kind of crack she was smoking on my wedding day, but it has certainly haunted me for over 6 years now, and I'm sure, for the rest of my life!
Enjoy the cake! If you'd like to see more pictures of this lovely confection, let me know and I can show you different angles and such (if you wanted to replicate it for your own special day!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%