Gumpaste On Buttercream?

Decorating By dmich Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm by sugarshack

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

I have lots of threads about placing royal icing decorations on buttercream, but what about gumpaste decorations on buttercream? As long as the gumpaste decorations are completely dry, is it okay to put them on?

5 replies
crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #2 of 6

I think if you leave gumpaste and/or fondant on buttercream for too long, it softens. So, if you have pieces that are not flat, they will lay flat after a while. I had that happen with some butterflies I made for a cake. I dried them for 2-3 days prior to needing them. When I got the cake to the site, they were laying flat on the buttercream.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, crl. So, I was thinking of transporting the gumpaste decorations in a separate container than the cake and putting them on at the party. It would probably be 1-1 1/2 hours before the cake was eaten. Do you think I'll have problems with a time-frame that short?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:41am
post #4 of 6

Another using gumpaste on b/c thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614661-.html

HTH

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 6

dmich -

I think you might have problems. I think my cake sat for about the same time. It wasn't a big deal for me as the butterflies just laid flat instead of 3 dimensional. If your gumpaste pieces aren't going to be laying flat against the cake, I would wait as long as possible before you attache them.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

they will absorb grease spots too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%