Silver "ish" Buttercream

Decorating By lanilani Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm by dogwood

lanilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanilani Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to make a platinum, silverish colored buttercream icing for wedding cupcakes. Any tips? Ideas? Color combos? (I'll settle for a grayish tone.) Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 6

I just read in a Wilton book to make a silver color combined a small amout of black with a blue. Haven't tried it myself, but I hope this helps.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

Why not do them light gray, then airbrush with silver sheen by americolor or silver shimmer by lucks?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 6

Mark may have something there with that shimmer stuff I've never used it. But I would not do grey icing it makes food look like sh*t. Just my opinion. I mean if you're doing a big wheel truck grey all the way but wedding cupcakes? Maybe suggest some dragees or something else that's really silver.

Just my grey thoughts for you.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #5 of 6

I just got some Wilton shimmer dust. The 3-pack came with silver, gold, and pearl. I wonder if you could literally mix the silver dust into your BC. You may have to use a few containers, but it just might work. Either that, or use the dust directly on top of crusted BC.

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 6

I accidently made silver roses on an Anniversary cake several years ago. I was trying making them a pale lavender. I used Wilton's lavender paste color to make the icing for the roses and when finished delivered to my friend who was hosting the anniversary party. She called me the next day to tell me that everyone loved the silver roses. What a surprise that was for me. icon_surprised.gif Apparently, being exposed to air made them fade and look silvery. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%