Ooo...i Want A Tight One!

Decorating By dmich Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm by cylstrial

dmich Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 15

...bow...just talking about a bow. icon_wink.gif I have seen some beautiful, perfectly-formed, tight bows on this site, but can't seem to accomplish that myself. For all of you with tight ones (snicker - sorry, in a bit of a mood right now), could you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Here's the pic of my most recent cake.

14 replies
sillychick Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 15

Really cute cake and nicely done! I do think I see the problem though. Maybe if you make some of them shorter they will fit in better as you get towards the top of the bow.

ngfcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 15

You should check this link:

I can see in your pic that you closed each loop too high (I hope that makes sense, English is not my first language). I mean, the loopy part is small compared with the total lenght of each loop.

annacakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 15

Hey. Looks to me like you made these loops on wires? Also looks like you need to do some trimming. What I usually do is cut the strips, fold them over to form the loop then lay them on their sides to dry. After a time I flip them over to dry the other side. When they are still a bit soft I use a sharp knife and cut the blunt ends into a point so that they are not square. I find this helps the loops assemble together a little more smoothly - they fit together better. I attach them to the cake with Royal Icing. If you are making these loops on wires (that's how I first learned) you can stop now. Not necessary. Also, I find bow-making easier using a 50/50 blend of fondant and gum paste - unless I want it to dry REAL fast - then I use 100% Gum Paste. HTH.

Lovely job on the cake by the way. Nicely done!

liapsim Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 15

Yeah, definitely make your actual loops fatter. They seem a little thin. Also, make the lengths a LITTLE shorter as you work your way to the top. Other than that...looks great!

eldag0615 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 15

ngfcake, thanks for the link, now, If I only had a brain!!! Kidding, that is a quote from a movie where a scare crow always complained he could not know anything because he had no brain. BTTP, since I don't even know what language is that, do you think this bow is made of fondant, or gumpaste or half and half?

bizatchgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 15

ngfcake, that is a beautiful bow in the tutorial you provided. I can't wait to try something like that one! I love the disk she uses on the bottom and top of the first layer. It looks like that would give more support to hold it together.

And I totally got what you meant on dmich's bow. Her 'seems' are a little too long. Like PP said, she should have trimmed the excess off.

dmich Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks to all of you for the tips and the tutorial. You guys are awesome! I will definitely be trying my bows a little differently next time.

Ayanami Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 15

Thank goodness for pictures! icon_confused.gif Can't read the language, but the pictures are perfect. I am totally going to add some flair to my next bow. I love the pipng & dots!

CakeMakar Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 15

Try laying your loops the same way. Notice in the tutorial ngfcake gave you the bottom layer - they're all laying down. Then continue, putting the next loop in the gaps of the previous layer. Definitely make them a bit smaller and tapered. Assembling the bow in a round cake pan definitely helps. Did you look at the loopy bow tutorial here on CC? It really shows the assembly well. I don't do the dowel hanging though -- they come out too narrow for my likes. I hand form them like ngfcake's tutorial.

Try adding some twisties too (wrap thin strips around a dowel until they dry, slide off) to fill it out.
Check out the Christmas present bow in my photos to see what I mean. (Ignore the pink cake, I hate that bow.) icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdelight Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #11 of 15

I love your cake!

I wanted to let you all know that I've learned something new today! I'm going to make a loop bow tonight when the kiddies are in bed. Thanks for the tutorials and I'll let you know how it went... wish me luck. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 15

ngfcake -- that tutorial is great! Thanks for sharing!!

CakeMakar Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 15

How'd your bow go?

cakesdelight Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 15

I've made the loops but I've been so busy with making decorations for a cake that I'm making for the 23rd and haven't been able to put it together. I promise I will do it tomorrow before my lil'boy wakes up. I'll take pictures even if it looks funny...

cylstrial Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by ngfcake

You should check this link:

I can see in your pic that you closed each loop too high (I hope that makes sense, English is not my first language). I mean, the loopy part is small compared with the total lenght of each loop.

I ended up making the bow from this website. It wasn't as good as the one in the tutorial, but I figure it was my first bow. I'll get better as I make more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%