Cupcake Cakes

Baking By Countrylifer Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm by Countrylifer

Countrylifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countrylifer Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
I have to make a cupcake cake for my granddaughter this weekend and I am not sure how to ice the cupcakes and keep them in the shape they need to be in. I would think the icing needs to be thin enough to spread easily and that I would have to stick them down with a little icing, then ??????????????? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Countrylifer icon_confused.gif

6 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 7

I have only done one, and they are a little tricky to frost.

I just did a crumb coat on the two pieces separately, and when that was dry, I put them together with a layer of frosting just as I would do the layers of a regular cake.

After I had them together, I frosted using 2 colors on the bottom and using a star tip with blue, and a round tip with pink. I just followed the grooves in the cake to make stripes like the paper wrapper.

I did the top in white, and tried to follow the swirl in the cake, but it didn't work out the way I had pictured.

The only other advice I have it that when put together, they are EXTREMELY top-heavy, so you may want to put some sort of skewer or dowel through the center to hold on to for stability while you are decorating and possibly while transporting as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7

I place the cupcakes on the cake board with a little of icing to hold them in place in the arrangement I need. I usually let that sit a bit to allow the icing to crust a little bit. I then ice the cupcakes as if they were one cake, let crust, then use the Viva paper towel method to smooth out. Decorate as needed.

HTH
Nikki

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

I used an icing tip. It worked great.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

DUH! dunce.gif

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the giant cupcake cake! Now I understand!

Well, you can disregard my earlier post! icon_biggrin.gif

Countrylifer Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

No, my fault I didn't explain myself very well. I am doing the Barbie Diamond Castle Mirror shape she saw in a brochure. Nothing simple for a first time, right?
I think I'll use the Bettercream, its soft and easy to spread without putting to much pressure on the cupcakes.

Countrylifer Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help I'll post a picture when it's done.

Countrylifer thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%