Rochester Ny

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 2:57pm by JeanetteDroegs

irish559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish559 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #31 of 75

I'm seeing a fieldtrip to Bakemark in my near future...anywhere else to get bettercreme in the area? (Rochester hopefully)

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #32 of 75

Mjandros I wento to St. Bonaventure too. I knwo in Olean they had a hobby shop, but I think the last time my mom was there to get me some things she said they were going out of business, bummer, I liked getting my fillings there. I do try to make it to Bakemark and also I have never been to Batavia Restaurant supply but do have family there. I did find a place in Warsaw on 20A going towards Perry, NY Amish owned store, but they sell tubes of fillings for $2.50! Also tons of sprinkles - little tubs for like $1.35.. Great place!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #33 of 75

AngelCakes5 - I'm not from the Western NY area. We live in CT near the NY border (aka - the Tri-State area), so our drive up that way will take about 5 hours or so, depending on how many stops we have to make. I love going to dinner at the Beef & Barrel in Olean. I made my hubby promise that we would go to dinner there this summer so I can have a beef on 'wick sandwich. Also love the wings from Allegheny sub shop. I haven't been to Olean in 5 1/2 years so I'm looking forward to the trip.

mjandros Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #34 of 75

Angelcakes - btw - just noticed your birthday is April 28 - the same day as my oldest daughter......

angelcakes5 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #35 of 75

Love the Beef and Barrel too, I have to get my husband down there, he has never been. Yes the dreaded birthday after this one next year will be the big 3-0 for me. I know its not that old but it bothers me!! icon_smile.gif

mjandros Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #36 of 75

3-0 is nothin'! I hit the big 4-0 in July!! And who's gonna make my cake?? icon_cool.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #37 of 75

Ooh! This is fun!!

My best friend is from Blasdell, My Hubby is graduating from RIT in May (Fingers crossed!) with his MBA.

Does anyone know how to post a small map of NY in this thread so we can see how close we all are to one another? I'm completely computer illiterate!

I have never seen Bettercream in my travels in Rochester. Since the Crisco dilemma, I have bought my frosting at Sam's. It's definately not as good as homemade, but it works.

JillK, I have friend who makes her own cookie cutters with the metal that they use for heating ducts and pliers. I believe she got the idea from googling for instructions on it.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #38 of 75

My DH is from Rochester. He moved to this area (Illinois side of St. Louis) 7 years ago for a job, found me and stayed! icon_rolleyes.gif He sure doesn't miss the snow, but he totally misses his favorite chicken wings! His mom and sister still live there.

Jodie

imakecakes Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #39 of 75

Well, if anyone is in town visiting family, send me a PM, maybe we can meet for coffee for a few minutes!

Jodi, Does your hubby miss the Zweigles white hots, Abbott's custard and Wegmans, too? Most people who move away always talk about these the most.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #40 of 75

Imakecakes.....he says YES to Zweigles, not so much to Abbott's (he loves our custard here better), Wegman's bread, being able to buy his Molson XXX, and Merchant's Grill wings.

Now, he says we have better steak restaurants and great BBQ. thumbs_up.gif But, again, and he told me to write this:

HE DOESN'T MISS THE SNOW!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #41 of 75

Hey everyone...Guess where BETTERCREME is manufactured? Yes thats right, in good ol' Buffalo,NY!!!
For those of you who want to get a commercial account set up you can have their rep deliver to you, if you work out of your homes then you can pick up the stuff amongest a whole bunch of other stuff at their little retail outlet on Niagra St. It works out great and their prices are very reasonable, they carry bettercream, all flavors and colors too! Good luck!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #42 of 75

I'm originally from Buffalo, New York; now in London, Ontario. If you go to Toronto, check out Golda's Kitchen. She has a shop there. I haven't been there yet, but I order my Satin Ice from there along with some other things and I have never been disappointed in the products or the service.

::waves to fellow Western New Yorkers::

Stay warm!
Karen

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #43 of 75

OK, I just had to get into this one. I lived in Rochester from the age of 2 until I was about 14, then we moved back to WV. That was many years ago. It attended # 31 elementary school.Then I was in the first class to attend Fredrick Douglas Jr. High school.
Then we moved and I went for 1 year to John Marshall High School. My brothers attended Edison Tech.
Wow, that has been so long ago, do any of these still exist?
Thing's I remember fondly: Sibley's department store downtown, Oh how they could decorate at Christmas! Caravel ice cream, A park that we called Sandy Hill, I don't really know what the real name was. We had a "cabin in the woods in Hemlock.
I know none of this is cake related, but I had to jump in.
Thanks for letting me remember. It took me back to so many things I didn't mention like happy times when my Dad was still here.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #44 of 75

I'm from the northern suburbs of Buffalo (Clarence/Williamsville/Amherst area) which is Erie County, so hi all! My family is in Rochester and Syracuse (and Binghampton, Cortland, etc.) a lot because my daughter plays on a soccer team that is made up of girls from the entire the NY State Western Region. (She's in Webster tomorrow, as a matter of fact). Next time we're in Syracuse, maybe I'll pm one of you Syracuse ladies to ask directions to Capaco/Top of the Cake, unless you don't think it's worth it.

Anyway, Bakemark is nice for a lot of things, but their stuff can be expensive. I need boxes the most, and their prices are high because, like most places, they have to pass on the high cost of the freight since they're heavy. They had started requiring customers to buy their 1/2 sheet boxes in bulk quantities of 50 (I think) and they cost quite a bit--I want to say like $75-$80. I found Twin Bakery Supply in the city of Buffalo (647 Eagle Street) and 50 of their 1/2 sheet boxes are dirt cheap--like more than half the price of Bake Mark!

Also, for cookie cutters, I recently discovered that The Podge, on Main Street in Clarence has tons of cookie cutters--probably at least 100 if not more. It's a really neat store if you ever get a chance to go there.

Hi Karema, by the way! You were the one who was nice enough to give me the info on what I need to do to start the process of getting "legal". I am still working on it, and that is my New Year's Resolution icon_lol.gif !!! I'm hoping to get the ball rolling in the next month.

Michele25 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:56pm
post #45 of 75

Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone knows if there is an ICES group in the Western NY region?

angelcakes5 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #46 of 75

Hi Michele25 I am not too far from you too. I am going to try out that Twin Bakery Supply. I am always going through boxes. The last ones I ordered were from a box place from work and I think for 50 they were just under $50. When you mentioned about being legal what are the stipulations in Erie County? I am in Wyoming and am wondering what mine are. I know about 20 minutes from my house there is a lady who has a sign up baked goods for sale from her home. I don't know why I havent checked into it because I really could do well at this.

Thanks

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #47 of 75

I'm pretty surprised at how many people from new york bake from home but nobody knows the laws to become legal. lol. Is anybody from New York legal????

imakecakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #48 of 75

Sugarwishes, It's probably because the laws are so strict in NY for cakes. You have to meet the same requirements as a commercial kitchen/restaurant to do it from home--including a triple sink, commercial fridge and freezer, slop sink, seperate entrance etc... not to mention the zoning. Some neighbors are picky about large delivery trucks coming to the house several times a week. I'm pretty sure that my neighbors-as much as they love my cakes and are supportive, would find this somewhat irritating.

I looked into it quite seriously and we just had to conceed that it wasn't the right move for us. I do know of a lady in my area that is legal, but she has never allowed me to come and see her kitchen. I think it's because she knows that I have the same dream and that makes me competition. We are friendly, just not THAT friendly, apparently. icon_smile.gif . I even offered to work for next to nothing (just for the experience) at a time when she was telling me how busy she was-and she turned me down flat. No hard feelings--I see her (unspoken) point.

sugarwishes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:44pm
post #49 of 75

Thank you imakecakes for that response. I definately understand what you're saying. I really wish they would make it easier for people to sell from home.

So I just saw Aine2 posted that she will be teaching a class in New York!!!! I'm so excited. Here's the link in case anyones interested:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6215522.html#6215522

imakecakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #50 of 75

Sugarwishes, thank you for that head's up!!!! I'm definately interested in going--maybe we can meet at class!

sugarwishes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #51 of 75

No problem at all, I was so excited when I saw it. I feel like theres never anything cake related held in NY. I wonder where exactly its going, to be but wherever it is i will be there. It would be so great if we could meet there! icon_smile.gif

imakecakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #52 of 75

Anybody else here from Rochester?? I'm still searching for cake buddies.....

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #53 of 75

Hi! I'm here (on the east side of the city)!

sugar wishes, I grew up in Suffolk County. Rochester is about a 7 hour drive from you!

imakecakes, you can get cookie cutters at Cooks World on Monroe Ave in Brighton. If they don't have what you are looking for, they can order it for you. Sign up for their email newsletter and they will send you coupons. They don't really have much cake stuff, basic colors of Spectrum gel coloring, some tips & bags, etc. They mostly have cooking things, like knives, pots, etc. Oh, they have the good vanilla and I believe a coffee extract if you like that.

In Henrietta is Tadco. It's in the Genesee Regional Market on Jefferson Rd. I can't find their website right now, but they don't have everything listed on their site either. They are not a cake decorating store, but a sort of ingredient wholesale (though some of their prices are pretty high). They sell a lot of spices, grains, flours, and such (my 6 year old daughter doesn't like the smell of the store!) For cake decorating, you can get sleeved fillings, boxes/cardboards, they have a lot of flavoring and extracts, powdered food coloring, large bottles of dragees, individual colors of sprinkles. I think that's about it.

Yeah, I wish we had other places beside the chain stores. I have been getting stuff at the Super WalMart in Macedon. Some things are the same price as you would pay at Joann/Michaels, etc after a coupon, so, I get it at WalMart and use my coupon for something else!

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm
post #54 of 75

Boy, this really took off in the few days I haven't been on ...

Michele25, I'm in the Town of Tonawanda. icon_razz.gif Lots of friends in the Clarence/Williamsville/Amherst area. (DH works in Amherst.) As far as I know, there's no ICES chapter around here, but with all the WNYers on here, I think we should start one.

Oh, yeah, I'm a St. Bonaventure graduate too. Hi, Bonnies! icon_biggrin.gif

Michele25 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:43pm
post #55 of 75

Hi JillK! I would love it if we could get an ICES chapter here, although I have no idea how that's done....then maybe we could get some of the workshop/cake seminars brought here (I would absolutely flip to take one of sugarshack's seminars!!!!!). Aine2 is having a workshop, but I'll bet anything that it's in NY City.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #56 of 75

Premier Pastry in Rochester has really delicious and beautiful cakes (I purchased my wedding cake from them 10 years ago). I don't know if they do carved cakes, but on their website they have some topsy turvy cakes.

I only bake for fun.

http://www.tanyacakes.com/ does carved cakes. Read her 'About Tanya' link. She said she won an award in a Rochester NY ICES chapter cake show, so I guess there was one in 2000. Maybe you can contact her to find out if it is still around.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #57 of 75

There is an ICES event late April in Greenbush, NY. I think that is about 3.5 hour drive from Rochester.
http://www.ices.org/events/events.html

I cannot find on the ICES website a listing of the chapters.

cookiesup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesup Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #58 of 75

Hi Imakecakes!! I live in Webster and I just bake for fun. It's nice to see so much interest in the Rochester area.
I buy either online or the local Joann, Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
I am going to tell my good friend about this forum..she has a liscensed in home bakery! icon_rolleyes.gif

imakecakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #59 of 75

Yahooooo!!! There are people like me here!!! Whether you bake for fun or professionally, I don't care. I'd just like to know I'm not alone here in the blistering cold!

Barbaranne, I have had cakes from Premier Pastry--YUM, YUM!!! Thank you for the link to Tanya's cakes, too! She does FANTASTIC work!!

Cookiesup, Hi!! I'm in Greece. I love your baby shower cake! I definately see why it's a fav of so many! I can't wait to hear from your friend, too. Maybe she can help answer some of the others questions about being legal.

I just started baking for a small restaurant just a half mile from my house. The owner is my next door neighbor and has asked me to work for him for years. I just agreed and started in November. I was very afraid of crossing that "friendship/business" line. So far, it's working quite well and I am loving it!!

imakecakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #60 of 75

I was driving my son to school today and noticed a car in the parking lot with a magnetic sign with a cake on it. I wrote down the web address and looked it up when I got home. She works from home just a few miles from me. Has anyone heard of her? Is she on CC? Here's a link--

http://www.priscilascookies.com/giftideas.htm

Barbaranne, I have bought flavorings from TADCO at the farmer's market(--love that place!!) Have you-or anyone- ever tried them? I bought the butter flavor, but wasn't too impressed. I have the clear vanilla in my cupboard, too, but haven't tried it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%