Im Confused Please Help Me!!!!!!!

Decorating By whittyella Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 12:44am by whittyella

whittyella Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 10

How do you make crusting buttercream, and how do you crumb coat a cake.??..??.. help please!!!!!

9 replies
mcalhoun Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 10

Most buttercreams in the recipe section are crusting so just do a search there. To do a crum coat you will take slightly thinned buttercream and put a very think coat on the cake. This seals in any crumbs and you can fix any inperfections in the cake.

Charmed Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 10

Hi,
Here is a link to a video about how to crumbcoat:

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/986-cake-decorating-how-to-crumb-coat
for the crusting buttercream just type :
Foolproof Crusting Buttercream
in the recipe search.
Hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 10

I use indydebi's crusting BC recipe on this site and it's wonderful. To crumbcoat thin your BC and cover the entire cake with a thin layer, let it sit until well crusted then apply final coat of icing. HTH

KrissieCakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 10

The buttercream dream recipe in the recipe section is a crusting buttercream. Crumbcoating is just a first layer of buttercream on the cake. You lightly coat the cake, stick it in the fridge for awhile, then either cover with fondant or put a final smooth layer of buttercream on.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 10

toedna has a great video on You Tube, too. It was very helpful!

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 10

First a crumb coat is a very thin layer of icing to lock in the crumbs, So to do this ice cake as you would normally just with a very thin layer of icing and place in the fridge to firm up.

The bc recipe I use which does crust is

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla(I use clear)
1/2 almond extract
1 pound Powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Add shortening and extracts and mix on med speed for 30 seconds.Slowly add about half the powdered sugar beating well. add 2 tablespoons of milk. Gradually add the remaining PS and enough milk remaining milk to reach spreading consistency. MAKES 3 CUPS!

Hopes this helps. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

whittyella Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:45am
post #8 of 10

Thank You I will try these, and see what happens. I also have another question. Say you wanted to make the bottom layer fondant and top layer buttercream. Could you do that or would it look bad just before i go wasting fondant i wanted to get your input. Lol, Thanks a bunch.

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #9 of 10

You mean like having a top tier fondant and the middle tier buttercream?

I am not sure how that would look but all I could say is it could be interesting.

Cupcake icon_smile.gif

whittyella Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #10 of 10

well i will make it and just put a picture of it on here. but i have to wait till i get healed up lol. i just had 3 teeth pulled. lol, and it hurts let me tell ya lol. thanks a bunch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%