Help! My Sugarshack Bc Is Gritty...

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm by __Jamie__

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 13

I creamed the shortening (Walmart store brand all veggie with trans fats which I found, I usually use Crisco) and liquids well...very creamiy and smooth when I began added PS...All going well, until I notice after the addition of final ps, the icing looks like "textured". Stop, scrape down and taste...GRITTY! It is not smooth like the first time I made this (last time I used Alpine which I had gotten on line to test) and the same sugar(Walmart brand p/s), I mixed for almost another ten minutes and it is still gritty! What can I do to salvadge this batch if at all? Even Mr. Know-it-all (hubby) said this is very gritty.... icon_cry.gif I can't imagine its the shortening...that wouldn't make the icing gritty, like granules of sugar not broken down...it's gotta be the sugar...didn't sift but I gathered from the board that this and other recipes don't require sifting...no lumps just gritty to the tongue and looks like textured paint.

Suggestions or help anybody, please icon_confused.gif

12 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 13

I have always been told not to use any off brand powdered sugar, But the last time i tried making sugar shacks icing mine was gritty,and i even used name brand i have heard that from time to time sugars can get that way from reading posts here, so im with you on this as well dont have any ideal what i did either.

sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 13

any brand of PS can have a gritty batch from time to time. do not know why; it just happens. when it does i switch to another brand for a while.

HTH

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 13

anything I can do to salvage this batch or is it a toss? It doesn't seem to be crusting well either icon_mad.gif

sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 13

its prob a toss, mine always have been.

some folks let it sit a day or two and then rebeat with a tbs of hot water and might be a tad better but i kinda doubt it.

it does happen to all of us from time to tim so dont panic that it was you. its the PS

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 13

That is exactly what happened the one time I tried to make that icing.

Hey Sharon, when I do get my DVD, can I use SMBC with your methods...I am really liking that stuff lately, and a potential client reaaaaalllly likes it. Or, am I just gonna have trouble?

sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 13

smoothing SBMC is a different animal altogether. The first part of my technique using the bench scraper, and how i d the top, will work. But the later parts of my method that uses viva, paper etc will only work on a crusting BC.

I am not a SBMC use and htere are a lot of threads on here using it, but i think you do a basic smoothing with the scraper, chill in fridge, and then smooth again with a hot scraper to refine it.

HTH

kaat Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 13

Twice I've used the walmart brand (in Canada) powdered sugar and both times it came out gritty. icon_sad.gif I'm sticking to bulk barn and redpath!

evasmama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #9 of 13

Sorry to hear about your BC! Since I see you're a n00b, like me, I'd recommend keeping the cruddy batch as practice icing. It may not look 100% pretty when piped, but you can get a lot of good techniques down with practice, as I'm sure you know!

rocketmom1985 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 13

well, lesson learned. I did use the gritty bc under my Wilton 3 class cake and it was fine...fondant went on perfectly etc. After I got home and took off all the bows and stuff(hubby freaks with all that "crap" on the cake icon_twisted.gif ) there were bubbles all over the top...some big, some very small...I rubbed my fingers over it and smoothed it out. Went right back to nice smooth fondant. This morning...same thing, bubbbles bubbles everywhere. Freaky.

As Evasmom suggested, I will just use it as practice...can always use the practice. Plus, since I am a real skinflint cheapskate...it pains me immensely to throw away 5 lbs of powdered suger. If I had any guts, I take the stuff back to WalMart and get my money back...fat chance icon_mad.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with using the gritty batch for practice. I hate wasting as well, and any time my bc comes out less than perfect I just use it as an opportunity to work on my piping skillz.

I know it's frustrating, though.

evasmama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 13

Maybe take away another lesson from this, rocketmom...don't use cheap crappy sugar! I don't use anything except C&H sugar. My husband can taste the difference between cane and beet (says beet tastes awful), and C&H's texture is always consistent.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 13

I don't cut corners with cheap sugar either. I stick with C&H.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%