Tips For Working With Gum Paste ~ Need Help Please:)

Decorating By cmalinowski3 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm by ngfcake

cmalinowski3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalinowski3 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for some help when it comes to working with Gum Paste.
I'm currently working with Satin Ice Gum Paste and even know I work fast and keep unused pieces covered it still tends to crack and get dry in spots while i'm kneading in the color.

How can I prevent this?

I've seen soo many characters pictures on the web and I can't seem to figure out how ppl get them so smooth and real looking. Should I be using fondant instead of gum paste??

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
Jeaucl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeaucl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 5

I am no master at it at all, but I find that adding in fondant helps, gives me a little more working time and less cracking. But I have never tried the product that you are using, I am big on making everything myself.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 5

I am also far from being on expert on this topic. When I've done figures in the past, I've also used a combo of gumpaste and fondant. I also know that alot of people recommend using fondant with tylose powder or CMC mixed in. Would adding a touch of shortening to your gumpaste help to moisten it? I've had some success with this in the past.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 5

I'm no master either. Just learning the ropes by trial and error. I never use gumpaste for my figures. I always use fondant because it comes out so smooth. It does take much longer for the figures to dry though. I only use gumpaste for flowers and other things I need to dry fast. You can try mixing your gumpaste with fondant, like 50/50. It may help you some. HTH Jen

You can look at my pics...the elephant I made is from gumpaste. Everything else is fondant. I can certainly tell the difference.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 5

I use home-made fondant with tylose powder (About 1/4 teaspoon of tylose powder or CMC for 250 g fondant). I've learnt this technique from Aine2. You can keep this paste wrapped in cling film for weeks. You just have to knead it very well before using it to avoid cracks. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%