[B]Working With Gum Paste ~ Tips Needed ~ Please:)[/b]

Decorating By cmalinowski3 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm by momvarden

cmalinowski3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalinowski3 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking for some help when it comes to working with Gum Paste.
I'm currently working with Satin Ice Gum Paste and even know I work fast and keep unused pieces covered it still tends to crack and get dry in spots while i'm kneading in the color.

How can I prevent this?

I've seen soo many characters pictures on the web and I can't seem to figure out how ppl get them so smooth and real looking. Should I be using fondant instead of gum paste??

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know if you are using corn starch but if you are stop. use Crisco
or some type of solid shortening. You can still use cornstarch but it makes it stiff and hard to work with. Also when you add color coat your hands with crisco as well it helps wash the coloring off your hand easier.

One other tip...when coloring go from lightest color to darkest. red is really bad and so is black.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 8

I use Satin Ice Fondant with a little Tylose powder kneading in. Give it a try and see if it works any better for you. If your fondant seems a little dry, add a little Crisco to your hands to soften it a little. HTH

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

I haven't ever used corn starch or ps just always crisco to keep from sticking and drying out. I also have never used Satin Ice gum paste just the Wilton RTU which is okay, the gum tex recipe is always a little weaker and drier and doesn't seem to like to take any colour. It looks kind of, I don't know how to explain, but speckled??? I don't use fondant that much so I've never tried, but it seems like the thicker the object your making, half fondant or fondant/gum paste mix would seem better. The Nicholas Lodge recipe with tylose has been the best for me. I'm also far far from an experienced gum paster too, just learning as I go. In southern Alberta where I live, the humidity changes a lot and I've noticed differences there too. HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 8

Glad I read this! I've been using cornstarch too, and don't like the results! I think I'm going to go remake some pieces I worked on this weekend for a dummy cake. Crisco it is!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 8

I use crisco when working with gumpaste. Also, when I make my figures I use 50% fondant & 50% gumpaste. It doesn't dry so fast, but will still dry hard. Hope this helps a little bit.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 8

Sometimes Satin Ice gumpaste comes too hard, if thats your problem, add a little bit of fondant to soften if the crisco doesnt get it more pliable. Remember to mix it well. I dont necesarily go 50/50, just enough to make it soft.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 8

I do agree with adding some fondant, but i crisco helps it from cracking and from drying to quickly. It also helps restore it if it starts to dry out because you for get to cover it ....um like have done....to many times. LOL I also find that it helps with the smoothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%