Question For Indydebi And Others Who Have Learned From Her

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm by indydebi

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 5

IndyDebi, (and anyone else who wants to join in)..

When someone is ordering a cake from you and you give them a "range" of how many slices a 10" square cake will make..how do you determine the range? A Wilton Wedding 10" square says it makes 50 slices. So do you just say it will make between 46 and 54 slices?

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at these charts thinking about them.. trying to figure out what I want to use. And I think I remember reading some posts by you saying (size and type of cake) will produce anywhere from such and such a number to such and such a number.

Thanks so much for your help! I hope this post makes sense!

4 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 5

A typical cake slice is 8 cubic inches (1x2x4) or (2x2x2) - If someone wants a larger slice (usually double that) then your range, let's say for a 10" 2 layer round that yields 50 1x2x4 servings will also yield 25 2x2x4 servings so your range is 25 to 50 servings. But indydebi might use a different method.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 5

I agonized over serving charts and guidelines for a long time before I decided to just use the Wilton wedding serving chart for everything, and I've never had anyone say they had the wrong amount of cake. In fact, it's usually more than enough...

I explain that a wedding serving is 1" x 2" x 4" and leave it at that. If they aren't having a caterer cut the cake, I leave them a copy of the Wilton cutting guide with the cake at delivery.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 5

I don't give them a 'range'. I show them a piece of styro that is 1x2x4 and tell them you get x servings from this size. (ie: 50 from a 10x4 sq.) *"if it is cut just right"*
If it is a 2" high cake then I show them a cube (2x2x2) and tell them how many servings from the size they are asking about.
If they want bigger servings they can order a larger cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 5

For weddings, I use the wilton chart, period.

When I have moms come in and have no idea what size cake they need, then I offer, for example, "An 8" cake will serve 18-24, depending on how you cut it ......", explaining the serving size, suggesting if they are going to cut it bigger, then they might want to go to a 10" cake.

Regardless, I PRICE it per the wilton wedding chart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%