How Do You Price Your Fondant Characters?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 6:21am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #1 of 17

I'm just wondering in case I'm asked about a price for them. But people around here are still flabbergasted by them & don't think to ask for something like them.

I wondering for people, animals, or anything else you accentuate your cake w/ that is made out of fondant/gumpaste

ETA:
This was my most recent,
LL

16 replies
pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 17

I was wandering the same thing. I just did a bridal show where I had a bride and groom on a fake cake and somebody asked me how much for them. I couldn't answer, it was like hearing crickets in my head. For my Birthday cakes and such, little animals or whatever was just included. But for a wedding a bride and groom would be considered a cake topper that is usually seperate.

I was thinking between $30 and $40 for the two. Since it to me between 3 and 4 hours total to do them. Any advice would be helpful.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 17

Your figure is very good and really cute! I think your price will depend on the details and complexity of your figure. If you are making a simple little penguin, that might take 10 minutes, you would of course charge a lot less then you would if you were making a Bride and Groom.

I haven't charged for any of my figures either, but if I would, the penguins would be about $2.50 each and a person would probably be about $20 - $25. You need to factor in the cost of your fondant, colors, tylose, etc. and then decide how much you want for your time.

I find it time consuming to get all of my colors made and get set up to get ready to work. I don't have a seperate area to work in where I can leave everything out. I work at my kitchen table and counter, so everytime I start I have to drag everything out and set up again!

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 17

I know complexity would have to be considered, but for a "normal" run of the mill like this I was thinking $20-25, but didn't know if that would be too much. He wasn't hard, but I had to let the boat dry for a few days before putting him in (I could just see me putting the fisherman in & the sides falling off the boat).

I've wondered about booties, flowers (roses mainly), bows, and even accents (polka dots, stripes, ribbon) etc. I just didn't know if people charge per item or have an upcharge per slice. I thought per item for bigger things & upcharge for accents. I just hit a brick wall when I try to decide "how" much. I want it to be worth my time (I think it takes me longer to color the fondant & get ready than to make it--ugh) but don't want to run people off. I really wish people around here would think outside the box & give me a chance to do something different!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 17

I know exactly what you mean about having a chance to try something different. I just last week made a guitar hero cake for my Grandson. I was pretty pleased with it since it was the first time I had attempted that type of cake. I used Chocolate buttercream and covered that with Choc. fondant. Most of the fondant got left on the kids plates. I thought kids would go for the choc fondant. They love to eat the fondant figures I make! My SIL took the left over cake to a football party and one of the reponses there was "Well, that's different. That's the first time I ever had to chew my fondant". How dissapointing that is to hear a comment like that about one of my cakes!!!! icon_redface.gif

Sorry, I got off the subject of your post. Your man in the boat might not have been difficult, but it was still time consuming. And you are right. Getting your colors made and everything ready to go takes alot of time. I try to save my colors from previous projects and sometimes can use those scraps instead of having to coloring new fondant. I think if you go with the 20-25 dollars for the basic person and maybe up it a little if you have a special request where you are trying to match clothing (like a bride's dress), you would be getting a fair price.

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 17

First time they've had the chew their fondant? Then they must never had had it. Fondant is nothing like buttercream. I had someone describe it to me as soft bubblegum & that she was expecting to be able to blow bubbles w/ her first bite. But she said she really liked it. It's just different & people have to get use to it. I'm surprised kids didn't like the chocolate fondant b/c it's like a big yummy tootsie roll!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 17

what would you charge for fondant figure cuppcake toppers... 2.50 per cc + ??? for the figure and flowers and other details....certainly wouldnt charge 20-30$ per cupcake....... any ideas?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 17

Divinecookie123 -- can you post a picture of your cupcake topper so that we can see exactly what kind you are talking about?

And Dandylion -- your little man and boat are adorable!!

dandelion56602 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 17

Divinecookie I too would like to see a pic. Or if you haven't made them at least a description & how big And thanks for the compliments ladies

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 17

I would love to share my pics of all the cupcake toppers I have done however I have been unable to upload to this site...

so most recent is Elmo , he is approx 5" with a few flowers around him and a molded #2 did 24 of these guys...

Everyones prices are soooooo different when it comes to 3D fondant figure toppers and flowers etc.... just trying to get any idea..

cylstrial Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 17

Sugardivine -- you might try to shrink your pictures. The other day I was trying to upload some pictures and I tried at least 10 times and it would never upload. I checked the size and it was 1.82 MB and CC says that the photo just has to be under 2 MB. Anyway, to make a long story short we made the pictures smaller and were able to upload them. So try that.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 17

I have tried to upload several times and it has been frustrating! I will try to shrink the pictures next time I have the time to figure this all out icon_confused.gif

Thanks a bunch for the info

dandelion56602 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 17

Sugar divine, is there any way you could make the toppers maybe 1 or 2" tall? That would save a lot of fondant & cost. For a 5" tall Elmo I would probably go at least $10. To me something cartoonish is easier to sculpt (like Bob, Larry & Junior on my VeggieTales cake). That was a 6" cake, Larry was the biggest & he was only 3" tall w/ the hat. They weren't really hard & I would probably charge $15-20 for all 3 of them--Jr's aspargus top was a time consuming.

I guess time yourself. Color your fondant & get everything ready. See how long it takes. Then time how long it takes to make one. This would be your "hourly" rate of what you'd pay yourself. Then calculate how much everything cost (especially the fondant b/c it's not cheap). I give you that advice & i'm terrible to time myself. I totally forget until I'm in the middle of it & I'll stop for dinner, to put the girls to bed, get school stuff ready for the next day, etc. Then the complexity comes into play. but I'm getting to the point where I'm saying "if they think they can get it cheaper--let 'em. If they think they can do it---we'll see"

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:50am
post #14 of 17

ok, nobody answered about the flower fondant prices. Please help with this one. I have asked in another post as well and seem to be stumped on this one. What would you charge for a large flower (rose or lily) and small flowers (pansies, daisies). Would you charge as a spray (bunch) or per flower.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

ok, nobody answered about the flower fondant prices. Please help with this one. I have asked in another post as well and seem to be stumped on this one. What would you charge for a large flower (rose or lily) and small flowers (pansies, daisies). Would you charge as a spray (bunch) or per flower.

4littlewops -- I didn't see your post in this thread until just now.. so maybe no one else saw it either. Maybe CC wasn't working when you posted or something.

I can't actually answer your question. But it is one that I would love to know the answer to as well.

So hopefully someone will hit on it. If not, may I suggest that you start an actual post about it yourself? Sometimes people just read the first couple of comments and then make a comment themself.. and never read the entire thread; leaving your question unanswered. Hope this helps!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 17

flowers are fine once you have the hang of them, but they still take plenty of time!
cant help too much with price - it really depends, a rose or something with lots of individual petal and leaves would be more than a one-cutter daisy, i guess price it according to your time, and figure out the costs to make a couple of differnt flowers, and have that as yor starting figure, then decide about whether to go the bunch or individual flowers, i think that might depend on your area.
people who arent used to fondant/ gumpaste, and decorations, probably wont think to pay $5 for something nice, so maybe just giving them some really simple flowers would open their minds.
xx

dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:21am
post #17 of 17

Well, it's past midnight & I've been working on a cake all afternoon. So, I've not reread & sorry if someone else asked. But..... I'm donating for a benefit & the lady wants me to price the cake so they can have an idea what to shoot for. I've done a 8" square & am praying my loops dry & I can turn it into a package cake. I have my "cake" price

My question is...would estimating $20 be too much or too little for a fondant loop bow, like this? http://www.cakecentral.com/article17-How-to-Make-a-Fondant-Loop-Bow.html (I charge $15 for my 2 loop dress type bow on my brown & pink cake) It'll be about 7" in diameter & dusted w/ silver luster dust. I used about 3/4 lb of fondant & 2 tsp tylose, then it'll dry all night long & hopefully assembly won't take too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%