Collin County Tx - Need Info

Business By sweet1122 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm by twinsmake5

sweet1122 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 4

I reside in Collin County TX and decided less than a week ago to start taking my cake decorating more seriously and start decorating for friends in addition to my personal family. Long story short I've realized that that is not legally possible, but my husband has actually proposed the idea of building a kitchen somewhere in our home. I have searched and searched and can't find any info anywhere on who to contact along the way. I'm looking for who I would need to contact to get licensed if I actually go through and say, get the whole kitchen thing going. That whole thing is a mess in itself, but I'm just trying to do my research... Thanks to those who can be helpful.

3 replies
smbegg Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 4

I am in Plano, and what I can tell you is that the kitchen has to be completely separate from your home with no entrances to the home to be legal. So like a third car garage or something would need to be converted. I am not sure of any of the other requirements though.

Stephanie

CakeForte Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:04am
post #3 of 4

Ditto on the completely separate facility. Depending on where you are in the county....you might also have to check the city ordinances as well. One will be the final authority. Sometimes you have to call around...sometimes it's on the city web site. It just depends. I had a really hard time finding out info in my area as well. When I did find it....everything was there for the kitchen set up processes/ rules....buuuut there is a whole different process for construction and contractors to actually come and work on your space. That's a different permitting process/pile of paperwork/ fees.

Basically Texas is effed up.lol

twinsmake5 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 4

I miss Collin County, I miss Plano! I miss convenience. You guys are spoiled and don't even know it! Which is awsome if you stay there!! I am totally spoiled (by convenience) and it has made moving HARD! My square was the tollway, Park, Preston, and Parker. I could get anywhere in 3 minutes and do all my errands and have a great lunch out somewhere. Here? Errands must be planned - there's no place for lunch (that's close). They love their "green space". I miss the concrete.

You have to have separate space and there are many code issues. I'm in the middle of this in Travis County, my inconvenient new county but must more casual!, and I handed over all that responsibility to an architect. I was getting nowhere fast with the city. We are converting the upstairs bonus area above a separate two car garage. I am immensely thankful for that separate garage and the architect who is taking care of making sure we follow code. Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%