Help! I Am Having Trouble With The Nfsc Recipe

Baking By jmpearl Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 12:29am by MichelleM77

jmpearl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

How long do I mix after incorporating the dry ingredients and at what speed? It does not look like do, it is still very crumbly. I have never made sugar cookies before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing.
Thanks!

6 replies
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 7

Lowest speed, mix for at least 30 seconds AFTER adding the last of the flour. The dough should be soft and smooth, not crumbly at all. thumbs_up.gif

Just make sure your butter is at room temp before you start creaming and you're going to get the perfect dough consistency. thumbs_up.gif

jmpearl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! When adding the dry ingredients, how quickly do I add then in? Do I have to wait until it incorporates before adding more?

mgigglin Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 7

I love this recipe... When I add the dry ingredients I do add a bit at a time and let it incorporate in the mix. It just works easier in my mixer. icon_rolleyes.gif I also roll the dough out prior to chilling it.

HTH,

Kim

keyshia Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 7

I too add a little of the dry mixture at a time and give it a moment to incorporate. I've had mine look a little crumbly after it was done, but once I took it off the mixer, I was easily able to put it all into a ball. HTH.

Keyshia

jmpearl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 7

Thanks to all! Keyshia, I will try to roll it into a ball.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 7

If your dough doesn't come together (I stop mixing when the dough pulls away from the side of the mixer bowl and the flour is incorporated, just seconds after adding the last of the flour), try adding just a tablespoon or two of water. You should also weigh your flour if you can, and if you aren't already (more accurate and you can avoid crumbly dough). I've rarely had to adjust the recipe since weighing. I use 31.8 ounces of flour for one NFSC recipe (31.6 on dry days, maybe 32 on humid days).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%