So, What Exactly Is A Quilting Tool?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm by kakeladi

emiyeric Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking of learning some quilting effects on fondant, but in my reading, it keeps mentioning a "quilting tool" ... I'm not exactly sure what kind of tool it's supposed to be. Of course, I know I can use diamond impression mats, for example, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything here. Thanks for any input!

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

this is technically called a quilting tool, it makes sticth lines. i use it over the impressions from the diamond mat to make a quilted look:

j-pal Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 6

While Sugarshack is absolutely correct, I think different people actually have different tools in mind when referring to their quilting tools. I don't like the impressions mats for quilting, I use a different product for my "quilting". Here's a link to what I think of when I think of a quilting tool.

Technically speaking, if you were a "quilter", you'd be thinking of the item that sugarshack indicated. However, I never use that tool for quilting... I use it for making "stitching" effects on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I hope that makes sense! Depending on the post that you're reading, people have different things in mind when using certain terms.

emiyeric Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much, guys! This is helpful!

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Can you use these tools on buttercream, also?

kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 6

............use these tools on buttercream...........

Yes, if it is a crusting b'c.

Quote by @%username% on %date%