Cake Falls In The Middle

Decorating By cakefanatic Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm by littlerockflower

cakefanatic Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 13

Can someone please help ! My cake have been baking fine but for some reason the start to fall in the middle. This has never happened to me before, so can some one please give me some advice.

THANKS.....Cakefanatic

12 replies
MacsMom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 13

Is it a new recipe? Have you been opening the oven to peek at it? (A drop in temp in the middle of cooking can cause it).

cakefanatic Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 13

Well, Not really I open it when it's about done, and I've lowered the temp. to 325. It looks good when I'm watching it thru the outside with the light on, but when I check the cake and take it out that's when it happens.
Thanks....

arwa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:37am
post #4 of 13

this has been happening to me as well.... would love to read the reasons

j-pal Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 13

Here are a few things that can affect your cakes' rising - or falling:

change in oven temp.
change in recipe - box mixes will change their formulas every now and then
dated or old cake mix
dated or old baking powder
poking or checking it too often
someone jumping or banging into it or around it - the oven, that is (kids)

If absolutely nothing has changed and it's still happening ... don't have a reason for you, however, if you add a tablespoon or two of meringue powder for every 4-6 cups of batter, this can help get rid of the problem.

Good luck!

cakefanatic Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks j-pal, next cake that goes into the oven, I will follow your instructions. thumbs_up.gif

littlerockflower Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 13

I had this same problem in the cake I just took out of the oven. I used the wilton ball pan, and this recipe. I made this same cake as a practice cake last week (my DD's 1st bday is sunday) and it was a tiny bit sunken in. This one looks like a crater!! didn't touch the oven the entire time it was baking.

I have two more batches to make, to have all the cakes needed for her birthday, and I'm going to try putting the bake even strips on them for the next batch and see if that makes a difference. I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions, and crossing my fingers that the bake-even strips work!!

jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #8 of 13

I've had that happen a time or two, but not since I started using an inverted flower nail in the center. Maybe you could try that. You just grease (or in my case spray with cooking spray) the nail as you would the pan and bake.

littlerockflower Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I've had that happen a time or two, but not since I started using an inverted flower nail in the center. Maybe you could try that. You just grease (or in my case spray with cooking spray) the nail as you would the pan and bake.

and then just stick it in the middle of the cake? and you say it's inverted, so you just have the point sticking up? my second batch is about to come out of the oven, and they're flat (so far) with the bake even strips. But they don't stay very well on the wilton sports ball pans. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 13

You got it. Just place it in the center of the cake batter. Pointed end up.

Jocmom Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

You got it. Just place it in the center of the cake batter. Pointed end up.

I've been using the flower nail method and bake even strips for almost a year now. No more "dips" in the middle of my cakes. thumbs_up.gif

deena1987 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 13

Littlerockflower, I LOVE the recipe you are using. I use it all the time but sometimes I have a problem with them kind of settling and the sides not straight. I usually bank it a few minutes longer to make sure it is done. I make sure my oven is at 325. I bought an oven thermometer and found out it takes alot longer to heat my oven. Also I have baked in the sports ball pan and mine looked awful on the top but it was a different recipe. It may be in how the cake rises in the pan and the length of time it takes to cook it. Maybe we should start a thread for people that use this recipe and their tips, that would be great.

littlerockflower Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deena1987

Littlerockflower, I LOVE the recipe you are using. I use it all the time but sometimes I have a problem with them kind of settling and the sides not straight. I usually bank it a few minutes longer to make sure it is done. I make sure my oven is at 325. I bought an oven thermometer and found out it takes alot longer to heat my oven. Also I have baked in the sports ball pan and mine looked awful on the top but it was a different recipe. It may be in how the cake rises in the pan and the length of time it takes to cook it. Maybe we should start a thread for people that use this recipe and their tips, that would be great.

lol, we should! i've had some serious problems with it last night, trying it again this morning. but I have my oven at 350deg because that's what the box and the sports pan I'm using said to do (well, the sports pan said to have it at whatever temp the mix I'm using said) and we'll see how it works out. Last night i threw out two mixes because they didn't cook long enough. (although they tested done!!!!) I'm crossing my fingers that it works this time. If not, I'll try again at 325 and see if that makes a difference.

oops--sorry, I've totally hijacked this thread to be about MY lack of baking skills. . .back to the subject of caked falling in the middle. . . .and I'm off to go start a new thread for my problems!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%