What Can You Do With Marzipan?

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:05am by antonia74

Sweet_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 16

I bought this small tube of marzipan about a year ago, thinking I would make a peace lily out of it. I chickened out, and it's still sitting in my cupboard. Is it like fondant? Can I practice making figures and things out of it? Thanks for your input!

15 replies
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 16

You can use it the same way, sure! I did all the decorations on this cake using marzipan. It tints really easily and rolls out well. icon_smile.gif
LL

Sweet_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 16

wow! how much did you use? what i have is a 7 oz tube. i have a few wilton colors and im pretty sure i have food coloring around. will that work? do you have to roll it out to make figures?

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 16

I myself have never used marzipan either, does it taste better than fondant?

antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 16

It's a richer taste. I'd compare fondant to marshmallow, but marzipan is nuttier and delicious!

Marzipan is made with ground almonds & it's pliable, can make shapes, etc. If you leave it for a few days, the figures also get dry/hard, which is good too.

Food colouring is fine. I just used a teeny drop of the food paste colours and that's fine. You don't have to roll it out with a rolling pin, no. You can mold it just like fondant, with your hands.

It's a very common ingredient for making cakes, chocolates, petit-fours, figures/decor in Europe. Here's a few examples of marzipan work i just Googled quickly....
LL
LL
LL

Sweet_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 16

awesome! thanks for the info! im gonna start trying tomorrow...as soon as i get home from work..."since we aren't supposed to use items in our cakes in a grocery store that we havent been trained on yet. blah blah."

antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 16

Well no, that makes sense. If you do go ahead and put it on a cake that for sale....don't forget to alert the customer that it's a nut product. icon_wink.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #8 of 16

The babies aren't really marzipan, it's a scam. I get the email with them about once a month at work because everyone knows I make cakes.

Anyway...thanks for the info on the marzipan. I've always wondered myself, especially about the taste. I've only seen it in the little bitty tubes too. It would be very expensive to buy enough to do an elaborate design. How do you buy yours Antonia?

antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 16

Wow, thanks! I had no idea that was an urban myth...it seems so plausible that you could make them from marzipan.

Anyway, we get ours by the case at the bakery...but bulk stores, health food stores and places that sell European foods in your area will most likely carry it or almond paste, which can be used in the same way.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 16

i wonder how hard marzipan is to make. i mean i know you can make fondant...so i wonder...those babies btw are beautiful...even though they aren't marzipan!

CakeMakar Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #11 of 16

They're the work of Camille Allen. She does amazing work.

bizatchgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #12 of 16

The babies are super beautiful, and I bet some of the really talented sugar artists could make them out of fondant. Definitely wouldn't want to eat them. They are way too real.

Thank you for suggesting the international food stores. We have a Middle Eastern grocery in Tempe, Az that has an awesome restaurant. It will give me another reason to go back soon! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and besides being a CC junky, I'm a Snopes junky. So, anything I get in an e-mail forward, I go out and search Snopes. The idea is to reply to people and tell them what they're sending me is BS so I can get them to quit sending the crap! Haven't fully succeeded yet. One friend actually told me he specifically sends stuff to me so I can tell him if it's true or not icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

CakeMakar Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #13 of 16

My mom sends stuff to me to verify too! icon_biggrin.gif I tell her the site so she can look them up for herself, but no... icon_biggrin.gif

ruthi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 16

I buy my almond paste and marzipan (when I am being lazy about making it from scratch with the almond paste) from a great company with great customer service...and they have always sent it super quick...American Almond, go to their website, americanalmond.com. Yum, I love the stuff.

bizatchgirl Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks ruthi! I will have to check that out.

antonia74 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

The babies aren't really marzipan, it's a scam. I get the email with them about once a month at work because everyone knows I make cakes.

Anyway...thanks for the info on the marzipan. I've always wondered myself, especially about the taste. I've only seen it in the little bitty tubes too. It would be very expensive to buy enough to do an elaborate design. How do you buy yours Antonia?

Are you really sure that was a scam?? icon_confused.gif People on here have made them and posted them in the gallery too....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_547383.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%