Large Modern Baby Shower Cake Ideas (Long)

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm by cylstrial

sugarwishes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 11

My very good friend and I are throwing her sister a baby shower on February 7th. Except for her parents are grandparents being there, we are all between the ages 22-27. The party is going to be in the evening, starts at 5. The mom to be wanted it to be more like a party and not just a "boring baby shower" as she put it. She wants it to be very modern and fun with tons of games (which i cant find any but thats a whole other post) drinking, dancing, etc.

SO the point of my post: I am making the cake as part of my gift (I offered) There will be about 80-100 people so I want the cake to feed 120 b/c originally there was to be 150 people but we had to cut down the list. I am still sure we are going to expect more than we invited since she has an extremely large family and everyone wants to come.

she's having a girl, but thinks the dr's are wrong plus she HATES pink! She does love green. So I want to do a pastel green, with ivory and browns.

MY PROBLEM: I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN as far as my design. Since its a gift, I get to do ANYTHING yayyy. I can always change the colors but I do like the pastel green with brown. There is NO THEME!!! There wasn't a big budget to plan the party so there isn't too much decor to go off of. She did originally want the theme to be baby blocks, but we couldn't do it. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

10 replies
Doug Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 11

theme: oceans of love

sea-foam green, sand, tan, brown

good do baby coming in the "good ship stork" (please find a better name!)

allows for cute fish, dolphins, beach, sun (and fun in the ....), pelicans (hey, where'd that penguin come from?).

theme: fairy bower

grass and other plant shades of green, earth tone browns

baby is sleeping in a pea pod or on a leaf bed (with leaf canopy), attended to by fairies and butterflies

cylstrial Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 11

You should check out some of the cakes on here.. browse the baby shower pics. There are some that are just adorable!
And Oh My Gosh! How many people are going to that baby shower???? That's an insane amount of people! I'm doing a baby shower cake on Saturday. I'm going to do a loopy bow on top. It's going to be 2 tiers. The top tier is going to have baby buggies going around it. And the bottom tier is going to have baby laundry. It should turn out pretty cute. I'm going to match part of it to a baby invitation.

Goodluck! If I remember, I'll attach the pic to this post when I get done.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 11

I love the cake by CakesbyLJ which has butterflies, flowers and a baby carriage on top. I did one like it but did it brown, pink and green. You can make it any color. Here is the link to hers. You can just make it a tiered cake to get the servings you need.

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 11

Is this a co-ed shower? I luv those!! It sounds like it's going to be a great time!

I want to suggest, if it's a co-ed shower, is re: the games. Guys do NOT understand shower games. We had a baby shower for a co-worker once. It was after work and everyone in the office stayed (small office of about 20). The organizer had the usual cheesy shower games (can you tell I'm not a fan of shower-games?). All, and I mean ALL, of the guys kept asking me, "Is this REALLY what women do at these things?" icon_confused.gif They thought the games were the dumbest things they'd ever encountered!

I told, "Don't worry .... most women *I* know think the games are the dumbest part, too!" icon_lol.gif

(Uh ... we don't do games at our showers. We might have a door prize but that's it. And everyone LUVS us for it! thumbs_up.gif )

sugarwishes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #6 of 11

thank you all for the great ideas, i have a lot to think about!!! i absolutely love that cake by cakebylj. i was a lil surprised by how many people too. i've never done a cake that big so i'm a lil nervous but i will do the best i can!
indydebi, yes it will be co-ed and i HATE shower games too!! i did a search online and they are all so stupid. she said she's worried its going to be boring so she's trying to come up with things for people to do. but you are very right, the men are going to hate it. i think it will be a great party just with music, drinks and food. we all can dance and hang out. what more do you really need? what more can you really do without it becoming well, lame. lol

Doug Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:51am
post #7 of 11

fashion show: latest in maternity wear -- modeled by the men

"who'd make the cutest pregnant --- DADDY!?" -- can you get one of those pregnancy simulators to use?

the "i don't know nothing about birthin' no babies" Olympics:
--- the Hot Water Dash (but use cold water just to be safe) who can run that fastest to get and bring back the most water w/ least spills using a plastic dishpan (or some similar thing that will splash a lot when carried at high speed)
--- the "OMG!!!! Her Water Broke Scavenger Hunt -- who can find all the scattered & partially hidden items needed to be able to bundle mommy-to-be-almost-NOW! into the car and off to the hospital -- items to include: driver's license, car keys, insurance card, towel, pair of pants, etc. (make up fakes-- several duplicate sets in different colors --- have to find all your color set)
--- the Diaper Dash -- who can take off, clean, creme, powder and rediaper a baby (use dolls) the fastest. Variants: Let's Feed Baby (bottle assembly, heating, etc.); Let's Bathe Baby

cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:52am
post #8 of 11

I love the bath basin idea. I have been waiting for a friend to have a baby JUST so I can do a cake that that! Here are some pics. I thought you could incorporate the green with facecloths and bath toys and towel!You can make it quite large with double layer...should feed quite a few! Or add a sheet cake with it or under it! I am not sure if it is modern.....but I think idea of the novelty cake is! anyways, I thought i would throw it out there!!!!

Doug Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 11

pin the daddy in the dog house:
photos of dad to be --- big dog house poster --- same rules/methods as pin the tale on the donkey.

sugarwishes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

omg lmao doug those ideas are too funny, i can just imagine the reactions when we start explaining what they will have to do hahaha

cylstrial Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 11

Doug -- You are hysterical! But they are great idea's!! I'm going to have to write those down somewhere! Next baby shower I throw.. I'm telling ya! People will be working their butts off apparently!

Quote by @%username% on %date%