Can Anyone Help With A Couple Of Questions?

Decorating By shadowgypsie Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 3:13am by weirkd

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 3

I have a customer who wants fresh fruit as the decorations on a wedding cake and I'm not sure how to price a cake with fresh fruit.

Another question is how do you price sugar flowers, Roses, Calla Lillie's, and the like.

any help would greatly be appreciated. TIA

2 replies
montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 3

If I were you, I would have my cakes priced equally per slice (except sculpted art cakes). Then add onto that price the market price or slightly above the price of fruit and/or flowers. Explain to your customer that the market prices change all year. For the sugar flowers, calculate how much each flower is worth to do for materials and time. HTH

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 3

yes, I agree. Set a base price per person and then you can add on to it from there. Like lets say a full rose. Now it takes me several hours between drying time and working on them to get them the way I want. Find out from a local florist what they charge for their real flowers and I would add to that. So lets say they charge $3 for a stem of a rose. Well I would charge $4 a rose. You can tell your customer that your rose will last forever (if taken care of properly) where as their $3 rose will be dead in a week!
Do the same thing with your fillings. If you can include a basic filling in your set price like jelly or preserves. Then if they want something that is a little more time consuming and pricier then add on to that.
Your best bet is to use an Exel type spreadsheet to determine what your costs are for a cake, including your time and your disposable items. Then its a little easier to get a set price. Also, check out local bakers and find out what they charge and as long as your not way over or way under your usually within a ballpark figure that wont break your budget!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%