tcakes65 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of

I have a bride that is having a large, extravagent wedding and reception. She has a hefty budget and is wanting some "gourmet" flavors for her cake. She doesn't want the typical white almond, yellow, classic white, etc. I'm drawing a blank and would appreciate ideas for some decicious cake combinations that are out of the box. I want to stay away from nuts in case someone has a nut allergy. However, using almond extract would be ok. She's coming in on Monday evening for her consult. TIA! icon_smile.gif

6413 replies
MacsMom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of

This is the first time I've printed my entire list to share with the world... It's huge!

Almond Joy ~ Rich chocolate-almond cake filled with chocolate ganache & coconut filling.

Amaretto Divine ~ Amaretto cake filled with chocolate fudge & Amaretto crème filling.

Andes Dream ~ Chocolate cake baked with Andes mints, filled with chocolate fudge & mint filling.

Apricot Almond ~ White almond sour cream cake with Amaretto cheesecake & apricot puree.

Banana Caramel Cheesecake ~ Banana cake with cheesecake & fresh caramel filling.

Bananarama ~ Banana cake filled with caramel, banana crème and chocolate ganache.

Banana Split ~ Layers of banana, cherry, & chocolate cakes filled with chocolate fudge & banana crème.

Black Forest ~ Chocolate-cherry cake filled with chocolate truffle & cherry filling.

Blueberry Sour Cream ~ Sour cream cake with cheesecake & blueberry fruit filling.

Boston Cream Pie ~ Butter cake filled with vanilla crème & chocolate ganache.

Butterscotch Rum ~ Rich butterscotch rum cake with a cheesecake filling.

Cappuccino ~ Milk chocolate-cappuccino cake filled with cappuccino truffle & thick cream.

Carrot Cake ~ cheesecake filling.

Chai Latte~ Fragrant chai spiced cake filled with cheesecake.

Cherry Vanilla ~ Layers of cherry cake and vanilla cake with cherry chocolate-chip ricotta filling.

Chocolate Banana Cheesecake ~ Layers of chocolate and banana cakes with banana & chocolate cheesecake.

Chocolate Covered Cherry ~ Cherry chocolate-chip cake with a chocolate cherry truffle filling.

Chocolate Dipped Strawberry ~ Layers of strawberry and chocolate cakes with a fudge filling.

Cinnamon Roll ~ Cinnamon swirl butter cake filled with sweet cream cheese.

Caramel Apple ~ Butter cake filled with sliced apple fruit filling & fresh caramel.

Citrus twist ~ Swirls of orange and lemon cake filled with orange cheesecake & lemon curd.

Coconut Cloud ~ Coconut cake filled with coconut crème.

Cookies & Cream ~ Rich dark chocolate cake with an Oreo cookie filling.

Crème Brûlée ~ Caramel cake filled with fresh caramel & white chocolate ganache.

Decadent Chocolate ~ A divinely decadent chocolate cake filled with chocolate fudge & chocolate-chip mousse.

Espresso Chip ~ Mocha-chip cake with espresso truffle filling.

Funky Monkey ~ Layers of banana & peanut butter cakes filled with layers of chocolate fudge, banana cheesecake, & peanut butter mousse.

GoodiesnCream ~ Moist butter cake with a creamy filling loaded with Butterfinger and Heath toffee bits.

Goodnight Kiss ~ Anise flavored champagne cake with white chocolate truffle filling.

Guava Lava ~ Pretty pink guava cake filled with guava fruit filling and cheesecake.

Hawaii Five-O ~ Pineapple cake filled with banana crème, mango curd, & coconut cream.

Hot Cocoa ~ Hot cocoa cake filled with marshmallow crème.

Irish Cream ~ Baileys Irish Cream cake with a Baileys chocolate truffle filling.

Kahlua ~ Rich dark chocolate-Kahlua cake with Kahlua crème filling.

Key Lime ~ Key Lime cake filled with key lime curd and cheesecake.

Lemon Drop ~ Lemon cake filled with lemon curd & white-chocolate ganache.

Lemon Kiss ~ Swirls of almond and lemon cakes filled with raspberry puree & lemon cheesecake.

Margarita ~ Rich margarita cake filled with lime cheesecake.

Mocha Toffee Crunch ~ Chocolate mocha cake filled with mocha fudge & toffee bits.

Neopolitan ~ A layer each of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla cakes filled with chocolate and strawberry cheesecake.

Orange Dreamsicle ~ Moist orange cake filled with vanilla mousse.

Orange Valencia ~ Orange chocolate-chip cake filled with rich chocolate fudge. *My personal favorite*


Peaches n Cream ~ Moist white cake infused with peach, filled with white-chocolate truffle & peach fruit filling.

Peanut Butter Fudgey ~ Peanut butter chocolate-chip cake filled with chocolate fudge and Reeses filling.

PBJ ~ PB cake, peanut butter mousse & raspberry fruit filling.

Pineapple Guava ~ Pineapple cake with guava fruit filling.

Pink Champagne ~ Pink champagne cake with cheesecake filling.

Piña Colada ~ Coconut pineapple cake with coconut crème filling and pineapple fruit filling.

Popsicle ~ Pineapple and cherry cakes swirled together with pineapple & cherry truffle filling.

Raspberry Truffle ~ Dark chocolate-raspberry cake filled with chocolate fudge & raspberry puree.

Rainbowlicious ~ Six vibrant colors of vanilla cake, filled with vanilla mousse.

Red Velvet ~ Rich red velvet cake with cheesecake filling.

Root beer Float ~ Root beer cake swirled with vanilla and filled with thick cream.


Smores ~ Graham cracker cake filled with marshmallow crème & chocolate ganache.

Strawberry Banana ~ Alternating layers of strawberry and banana cakes filled with banana and strawberry cheesecakes.

Strawberry Fields ~ Moist strawberry cake filled with strawberry cheesecake & strawberry puree.

Strawberry Lemonade ~ Strawberry & lemon cakes swirled together and filled with strawberry cheesecake & lemon curd.

Sunrise ~ Swirls of cherry and orange cakes, filled with orange mousse & cherry mousse.

Tiramisu ~ Espresso infused butter cake with mascarpone-Kahlua filling, over a spread of chocolate ganache.

Tropic Breeze ~ Tropical cake (pineapple, banana, coconut) filled with Pineapple cheesecake.

Turtle ~ Dark chocolate cake filled chocolate fudge, caramel, & toasted chopped pecans.

Tuxedo ~ Layers of white & dark chocolate cakes filled with layers of white-chocolate truffle & rich fudge filling.

White Almond Sour Cream ~ White almond sour cream cake filled with cheesecake & raspberry puree. Also great with chocolate-cheesecake filling!

tcakes65 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of

WOW! Thank you so much for posting your list. They sound fabuluous! So many choices; I don't know where to begin. icon_lol.gif This definitely helps!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #4 of

My question is how in the heck do you make these flavors of cakes? haha

They all sounds sooo good to

MacsMom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of

icon_biggrin.gif
I use the WASC recipe as my base and start substituting from there: Flavored coffee creamers, juices, liquers, thawed frozen margarita concentrate, coffee, melted ice-cream, flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, pudding mixes, LoRann flavored oils...

tcakes65 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #6 of

Glad you clarified that. It's exactly how I planned to approach it. icon_biggrin.gif

morgnscakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of

I know it's probably too late for your consultation, but we have the following for our cakes:

white chocolate cake with lemon curd and white chocolate buttercream filling

Dark chocolate cake with a raspberry buttercream or white chocolate buttercream with fresh raspberries

French vanilla cake filled with raspberry jam and lemon curd

red velvet dream: layers of red velvet cake and white chocolate italian meringue buttercream

I know my list is not as long as MacsMom, but it gives you something. by the way, MacsMom...you have my mouth watering!!!!

majormichel Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of

love the different flavors, this thread is a keeper

kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #9 of

Butter Pecan cake w/bavarian creme fill

Pistachio w/cheesecake mousse
Lemon w/raspberry
Apple spice w/bavarian or applesauce mousse

RIC-Girl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:49am

MacsMom...this list is AMAZING! Could you give any insight on how you use cheesecake as a filling? I love cake and cheesecake and would definitely love to try out some of the flavors you have listed.

Thanks so much for providing the list!

MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:32am

It's a mock-cheesecake filling, actually:

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

cakesmade4u Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:21am

Macsmom these are someawsome cake flavors, would it be ok to use some of your cakes for my clients? And may I ask how much would or do you charge for a slice? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:32am

Sure! If clients ask which is your favorite you have to say the Orange Dreamsicle - everyone LOVES that one!

I charge $4 to $5 per serving, depending on the complexity of the design: carving, mad hatters, figures, and height add to the cost. I say "height" because it takes more support and planning to make sure the sucker won't fall over icon_eek.gif . My Stack-o-Lantern cake required a cake dummy under the base so I could hammer 2 long dowels all the way through the cake and down into the dummy. I still thought it might topple!

cakesmade4u Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm

I will have to try some flavors myself thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm

All right, since we're sharing, here's what I offer. All scratch, most are recipes from either The Cake Book or the Cake Bible.

**Black Forest cake--The classic combination of chocolate cake with cherry soaking syrup, filled with whipped cream and cherries or optional cherry mousse.

Mocha Spice cake--Rich sour cream chocolate cake with a dash of coffee and fresh and dried ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Pink Champagne cake--Made with real pink champagne, filled with champagne-flavored buttercream.

**Sour Cream Poppyseed cake (with lots of poppyseeds) with whipped white chocolate lemon ganache filling.

Raspberry Mousse cake--White or chiffon cake brushed with orange syrup, filled with layers of raspberry preserves and raspberry mousse.

Lemon Chiffon Mousse cake--Lemon chiffon cake with ginger syrup and lemon mousse.


Lime Chiffon cake with fresh ginger mousse.

**White Chocolate Whisper cake--White cake baked with real imported white chocolate. Filled with whipped white chocolate ganache or white chocolate cream cheese filling.

**Creme Brulee cake--Cream brulee-flavored cake filled with fresh caramel sauce and Bavarian cream, frosted with regular or caramel-flavored buttercream.

Banana cake with caramel espresso filling. Can also be brushed with coffee soaking syrup and filled with maple mousse. Nuts optional.

Creamy Coconut cake--Coconut cake, baked with coconut milk and coconut flakes, brushed with a rum soaking syrup, filled with coconut custard filling, frosted with coconut buttercream. (Also great filled with lime curd)

Lemon Lust--Lemon cake, lemon soaking syrup, lemon cream cheese or lemon curd filling, and lemon buttercream, for citrus lovers.

*NEW* Italian Wedding cake--Vanilla sponge cake brushed with rum syrup, then filled with fresh zabaglione.

Orange Grove--Orange cake, with orange or Grand Marnier soaking syrup, orange mousse or buttercream filling, and orange frosting.

**Lemon Meringue Coconut Cake-with lemon curd and real coconut baked inside, filled with layers of lemon curd, coconut flakes, and crisp/chewy coconut meringue. This amazing confection will make lemon meringue pie lovers swoon!

**White Chocolate Raspberry Almond Cake-almond genoise brushed with raspberry soaking syrup, filled with layers of seedless raspberry preserves and whipped white chocolate ganache. Ambrosia!

White Chocolate Eggnog Mousse Cake--spiced chiffon cake brushed with rum soaking syrup, filled with white chocolate eggnog mousse (think cream, nutmeg, and rum!).

Ginger Spice Cake--moist and rich, laced with the spices of the holidays, filled with pumpkin mousse or custard. If you love gingerbread, try this!

Vanilla Cognac cake, baked with both vanilla-infused cognac and regular Madagascar bourbon vanilla for extra vanilla flavor

Kahlua White Russian cake--white chocolate and real Kahlua-laced white cake with Kahlua white Russian cream filling.

**Chocolate Espresso Kahlua Cake--Chocolate cake filled with layers of crisp espresso meringue and Kahlua mousse, for coffee lovers.

**Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cake-one of my personal favorites--Chocolate cake filled with delicious peanut butter mousse that will actually make you say, "Wow!"

Chocolate Coconut Mousse Cake--Chocolate cake with creamy rum-spiked coconut mousse filling.

Chocolate Daquoise Cake--Chocolate cake filled with layers of milk chocolate buttercream or mousse and crisp/chewy, nutty meringue.

Almond Joy--Chocolate cake filled with layers of chewy coconut and toasted almond dacquoise.

Enjoy.

ZAKIA6 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm

wow this is a great thread.
chef.stef - is there any particular reason some combos have asterisks and some dont?

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm

Yep. It was cut and pasted from my website, and the asterisks are "favorite" flavors from last year.

emiyeric Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm

Holy mother of cake, guys! What a list! Is there some way I can save this thread, do you know? Whike I cannot begin to wrap my head around that ginormous number of offerings, this will come in handy for inspiration when I feel stuck in my five-flavors-six-fillings rut. Thanks so much for being so generous as to share your lists!!!

-Emi.

PS I'm serious, if anybody knows a way to save this thread to my preferences!

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm

At the bottom of this thread, where you can hit, post reply, you can hit "Watch this Topic for Replies". That will add it to your Watched Topics, which you can reach at the top of this page where it says, Search, Buddy List, Ignore List, Watched Topics, etc. That's what I do.

OR you can copy and paste it and save the lists to your Word program on your computer, which is what I just did with the first list here. I'm at this moment going through and seeing if I want to add some of MacsMom's cake flavors. What a list! Zowie

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Holy mother of cake, guys! What a list! Is there some way I can save this thread, do you know? Whike I cannot begin to wrap my head around that ginormous number of offerings, this will come in handy for inspiration when I feel stuck in my five-flavors-six-fillings rut. Thanks so much for being so generous as to share your lists!!!

-Emi.

PS I'm serious, if anybody knows a way to save this thread to my preferences!




Now that you've replied to it, it will automatically be saved in your 'watched topics' folder. Or, I would suggest you copy/paste into a word file so that you can access it if the site is down, or the thread were to be lost or something!! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm

If you go to the homepage and click on "my forum posts" this thread should be listed. But when you want to find it later you may have to sroll through several pages since every single one of your posts is saved! At least, that's the only way I know of.

When I see something I want save, I usually just copy/paste into a Word Document on my computer.

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm

The ones I post to don't automatically go into my Watched Topics. Is that an option I need to click in my Forum Info?

MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm

Hmmm... maybe. But they should always in "My Forum Posts".

cas17 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

All right, since we're sharing, here's what I offer. All scratch, most are recipes from either The Cake Book or the Cake Bible.

**Black Forest cake--The classic combination of chocolate cake with cherry soaking syrup, filled with whipped cream and cherries or optional cherry mousse.

Mocha Spice cake--Rich sour cream chocolate cake with a dash of coffee and fresh and dried ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Pink Champagne cake--Made with real pink champagne, filled with champagne-flavored buttercream.

**Sour Cream Poppyseed cake (with lots of poppyseeds) with whipped white chocolate lemon ganache filling.

Raspberry Mousse cake--White or chiffon cake brushed with orange syrup, filled with layers of raspberry preserves and raspberry mousse.

Lemon Chiffon Mousse cake--Lemon chiffon cake with ginger syrup and lemon mousse.


Lime Chiffon cake with fresh ginger mousse.

**White Chocolate Whisper cake--White cake baked with real imported white chocolate. Filled with whipped white chocolate ganache or white chocolate cream cheese filling.

**Creme Brulee cake--Cream brulee-flavored cake filled with fresh caramel sauce and Bavarian cream, frosted with regular or caramel-flavored buttercream.

Banana cake with caramel espresso filling. Can also be brushed with coffee soaking syrup and filled with maple mousse. Nuts optional.

Creamy Coconut cake--Coconut cake, baked with coconut milk and coconut flakes, brushed with a rum soaking syrup, filled with coconut custard filling, frosted with coconut buttercream. (Also great filled with lime curd)

Lemon Lust--Lemon cake, lemon soaking syrup, lemon cream cheese or lemon curd filling, and lemon buttercream, for citrus lovers.

*NEW* Italian Wedding cake--Vanilla sponge cake brushed with rum syrup, then filled with fresh zabaglione.

Orange Grove--Orange cake, with orange or Grand Marnier soaking syrup, orange mousse or buttercream filling, and orange frosting.

**Lemon Meringue Coconut Cake-with lemon curd and real coconut baked inside, filled with layers of lemon curd, coconut flakes, and crisp/chewy coconut meringue. This amazing confection will make lemon meringue pie lovers swoon!

**White Chocolate Raspberry Almond Cake-almond genoise brushed with raspberry soaking syrup, filled with layers of seedless raspberry preserves and whipped white chocolate ganache. Ambrosia!

White Chocolate Eggnog Mousse Cake--spiced chiffon cake brushed with rum soaking syrup, filled with white chocolate eggnog mousse (think cream, nutmeg, and rum!).

Ginger Spice Cake--moist and rich, laced with the spices of the holidays, filled with pumpkin mousse or custard. If you love gingerbread, try this!

Vanilla Cognac cake, baked with both vanilla-infused cognac and regular Madagascar bourbon vanilla for extra vanilla flavor

Kahlua White Russian cake--white chocolate and real Kahlua-laced white cake with Kahlua white Russian cream filling.

**Chocolate Espresso Kahlua Cake--Chocolate cake filled with layers of crisp espresso meringue and Kahlua mousse, for coffee lovers.

**Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cake-one of my personal favorites--Chocolate cake filled with delicious peanut butter mousse that will actually make you say, "Wow!"

Chocolate Coconut Mousse Cake--Chocolate cake with creamy rum-spiked coconut mousse filling.

Chocolate Daquoise Cake--Chocolate cake filled with layers of milk chocolate buttercream or mousse and crisp/chewy, nutty meringue.

Almond Joy--Chocolate cake filled with layers of chewy coconut and toasted almond dacquoise.

Enjoy.


wow thanks everybody for these great flavor combo ideas! one i have that i haven't seen yet is the cosmo-vodka syrup on cranberry cake with lime infused buttercream filling. popular last year with the SITC movie. another filling that goes well with a spice cake that you don't hear very often is pear puree which is also delicious sprinkled with a some mini choc chips.

macmom-you are right about the dreamsicle being a huge favorite. it's one of my most requested and the last tiered cake i did it was the first tier to be completely devoured.

cas17 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm

i have no idea how that quote got in my post?????? my 3 yr old son must have hit something on my keyboard, lol. funny cos i've wanted to do it before but didn't know how. still don't.

SaraClassic Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

icon_biggrin.gif
I use the WASC recipe as my base and start substituting from there: Flavored coffee creamers, juices, liquers, thawed frozen margarita concentrate, coffee, melted ice-cream, flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, pudding mixes, LoRann flavored oils...




Thanks so much for sharing all the details ~! You have saved us all hours, I hope we do your flavors justice!

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm

Some brides mags I've seen lately have been pushing the more gourmet flavors, so maybe customers will branch out more. I've seen more of these kind of things...

White cake with apricot and pistachio fillings.
Lemon with pomegranate filling
Coconut with key lime

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i have no idea how that quote got in my post?????? my 3 yr old son must have hit something on my keyboard, lol. funny cos i've wanted to do it before but didn't know how. still don't.




If you look at the post you want to quote, in the upper right corner of that post is a button that says, 'quote'. Simply click that, then type UNDER the text that appears.

SaraClassic Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Butter Pecan cake w/bavarian creme fill

Pistachio w/cheesecake mousse
Lemon w/raspberry
Apple spice w/bavarian or applesauce mousse




Cheesecake Mousse!!? Is there a recipe on here for that!?

Bzer Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm

once you reply to this thread you should see the watched topic on the bottom of the page. Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%