Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:21am
post #6271 of 6536

Patents cover ideas. Copyrights cover expressions of ideas. And trademarks cover names and/or logos used to identify goods and services.

mmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmich Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:12pm
post #6272 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I believe that a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted, but the directions for what to do with them can.

THIS is correct (I actually have several college classes on this for my degree).  I list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted.  ONLY what is done with them.  To be more specific (and I'm not using real terms):

• Flour, sugar, flavoring is not able to be copyrighted.
  • Flour, sugar, flavoring, bake at 350 degrees is probably not going to stand up to a copyright suit.
  • Take x cups of flour, blend x amount of sugar into it slowly.  After well blended add x amount of flavoring drop by drop.  Then once blank consistency is achieved bake at 350 degrees is something that can be copyrighted.  And it must all be specifically laid out and published in one spot.  In other words, it cannot be cut and pasted in several different books/magazines/publishing areas.  

It is the literary expression that is given a copyright.  

HOWEVER, if you are taking someone else's recipe, giving them credit is the ethical thing to do.  You can be legal without being ethical. 

And most recipes (here) are not unique enough to have a patent.  

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:23pm
post #6273 of 6536

She did not publish her recipes....just the ideas of what flavors would go nicely together. I would have to do my own experimenting to come up with a recipe. It was mostly the names I am interested in using if she does not mind. I am working to come up with names to make my own....but there can be 100 carrot cakes in 1 room and not a single one with the same recipe. But I am always happy to share credit.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:57pm
post #6274 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I believe that a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted, but the directions for what to do with them can.

It's opposite of that, actually: "Copyright works to protect the way a recipe is recorded in writing and not the way it is actually made. If you record and publish a recipe and someone then looks to re-copy that recipe without any new literary expression being added, this could be deemed as a copyright infringement. However, this does not stop someone taking the recipe, cooking it in their restaurant, changing the name and claiming it as their own."

http://www.finedininglovers.com/stories/how-to-protect-recipes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Is there a certain way that you would like credit to be given? A link or "thanks to MacsMom for these lovely recipes"? I was under the impression that a recipe could not be copyrighted. Don't take that in anyway that I would not want to give credit...the question was just for curiosity's sake. I appreciate you sharing these! I want to eat them all tonight...

And is there a certain one that you would recommend for a situation where you are told...oh I don't care what flavor it is...it just needs to be over the top!? They all look over the top to me!!

That's fine. I've come across quite a few blogs and websites that have copied my cake flavor names and descriptions exactly. It feels like betrayal when someone claims them as their own, when I've put so much into keeping this thread going. My intention was certainly to help expand the interest in custom cakes (you won't find "pistachio cardamom" at Costco), and therefore help small bakeries and home bakers reach more clientele.

So yes, I think it's great to use these flavors, but if you wish to keep the names and descriptions the same, a little nod to where they originated shows integrity and respect :)

MacsMom Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:11pm
post #6275 of 6536

This article states the point I was trying to get across

From http://foodblogalliance.com/a/recipe-attribution/

"Since many bloggers and other folks online aren’t professional food writers, I’ve come across a few people who’ve lifted a recipe word-for-word from my site or posted them on a forum. When it happens to me, I write them a gentle note that I appreciate the fact they liked the recipe enough to share with their readers, but it should be re-written in their own language, which I add is something that “…I’m sure your readers will appreciate.” (David Lebovitz)

I am not offended in any way, I wouldn't have shared them if I didn't expect them to get used... And true, how many different ways can you say "Carrot cake?"

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:21pm
post #6276 of 6536

Thanks Mom!

MacsMom Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:28pm
post #6277 of 6536

When customers ask me for a "Wow!" flavor, I try to give them a flavor variety (a chocolate, a citrus, and something unique, for instance). My favorites:

Unique

1. French Toast

2. Tiramisu

3. Rootbeer Float

4. Ambrosia

Citrus

2. Fuzzy Navel

3. Coconut Lime

4. Lemon Blueberry

Chocolate

1. Valencia

2. Andes Mint

3. Turtle

Kids

1. Sour watermelon http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/super-sour-cake/66632f2b-3945-4c1e-ac4d-512baebd1194

2. Grape Ape (Lorann grape, grape soda, and purple food coloring)

3. PB&J

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:50pm
post #6278 of 6536

Mmmmm...for my daughters birthday I used loranns blueberry instead of almond in my WASC andadded tons of fresh blueberries then filled it with lemon curd.

I ended up going with the amaretto for the person who wanted "over the top" but wouldnt give me any ideas

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:40am
post #6279 of 6536

Change of plans...I am thinking of a Mocha Amaretto Latte....lays of amaretto and chocolate/coffee cake filled with amaretto flavored IMBC. I wanted to change it to one of the ones suggested by MacsMom but don't want to appear wishy-washy to my customer.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:09pm
post #6280 of 6536

Hey Batterup, speaking of changing plans.... I was all set to make an Oreo cookie cake tomorrow for my grand daughter's birthday, but upon reading your description, decided to go with blueberry/lemon curd. I already have the blueberries and lemon curd in the freezer and Lorann's oil in the pantry so I don't even need to run to the store. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jan

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:11pm
post #6281 of 6536

Thank you!!! Amazing how much a kind word can change the course of your day! Let me know how they like it.

LindaGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaGonzalez Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:05am
post #6282 of 6536

AWow what a list! Definitely great inspiration, thank you all for sharing!

kaypettit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaypettit Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm
post #6283 of 6536

AEarly on in this thread, a bunch of people said they refridgerate their fondant covered cakes. I've never done that, but have a wedding cake for Friday that is using fruit fillings, and has royal icing dots on the outside. I don't want to leave the cake out, but am worried about the condensation and the royal icing. Any ideas or opinions?

datikiprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datikiprincess Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #6284 of 6536

you amaze me with all the yummy deliciousness that you come up with!

?? how do you make the french toast cake?

MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:56pm
post #6285 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by datikiprincess 

you amaze me with all the yummy deliciousness that you come up with!

?? how do you make the french toast cake?

Pretty much, I just add Maple flavoring to the Cinnamon Roll cake.

MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:59pm
post #6286 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypettit 

Early on in this thread, a bunch of people said they refridgerate their fondant covered cakes. I've never done that, but have a wedding cake for Friday that is using fruit fillings, and has royal icing dots on the outside. I don't want to leave the cake out, but am worried about the condensation and the royal icing. Any ideas or opinions?

I refrigerate all of my cakes, even those with royal icing stencils, and have never had a problem. Only once was it raining outside, so the condensation wasn't drying. I used my hair dryer to speed it along. Worked like a charm.

kaypettit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaypettit Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:36pm
post #6287 of 6536

AThanks Macsmom for all of your invaluable advice and help for us newbies! It is always easier to try something new when you have someone there to help you along!

datikiprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datikiprincess Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:18pm
post #6288 of 6536

thank you!!

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:33pm
post #6289 of 6536

Why can I not get past page 420 now?  It told me I had __  unread messages but when I clicked to read them it just reverts back to 420 and tells me I have read them all.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:47pm
post #6290 of 6536

Could it have been a different thread? I am seeing that 420 is the final page of this thread (for now).

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:12am
post #6291 of 6536

It was this one; I just thought I had read more pages.  I have been recovering from bilateral total knee replacement and have not logged on in a while.

Thanks

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:28am
post #6292 of 6536

I don't suppose you're on painkillers or anything......icon_biggrin.gif  icon_wink.gif

Hoosier Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoosier Mama Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 5:39pm
post #6293 of 6536

Wow, some amazing flavors!  Personally, I like a white asti spumante cake with raspberry puree between the layers and topped with a white chocolate buttercream.  Simple and elegant!

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 11:47am
post #6294 of 6536

A

Original message sent by MacsMom

When customers ask me for a "Wow!" flavor, I try to give them a flavor variety (a chocolate, a citrus, and something unique, for instance). My favorites:

Unique 1. French Toast 2. Tiramisu 3. Rootbeer Float 4. Ambrosia

Citrus 2. Fuzzy Navel 3. Coconut Lime 4. Lemon Blueberry

Chocolate 1. Valencia 2. Andes Mint 3. Turtle

Kids 1. Sour watermelon [URL=http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/super-sour-cake/66632f2b-3945-4c1e-ac4d-512baebd1194]http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/super-sour-cake/66632f2b-3945-4c1e-ac4d-512baebd1194[/URL] 2. Grape Ape (Lorann grape, grape soda, and purple food coloring) 3. PB&J

Zeesh Louise! !! How are you adding these flavors? ??? I'm a newbie and can't figure out how to do it..it's awesomely incredible!!! Which ones would you use for a wedding??

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 2:34pm
post #6295 of 6536

You show the bride the list and ask which one she wants! My favorite is the Orange dreamsicle and theWhite Almond sour cream with raspberry filling.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wBMz4wGYM-f4XKECyQEodFVwB0QHjQ2xQCeMG20bmws/edit?pli=1

victoriasSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriasSweets Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:45pm
post #6296 of 6536

AThis thread is awesome. Thanks for the list Mac mom!!! I'm ready to get creative!

laperry08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laperry08 Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 1:42pm
post #6297 of 6536

Hey Y'all! So I found this thread like a week and a half ago, and I'm super new to cake baking and decorating. I bake, just not cakes. So I got through about 200 pages of this thread and finally decided to try a flavor. This past Saturday was National S'mores Day. Happens every year on August 10, so in celebration I made the Graham Cracker Cake (slightly modified - added more graham crackers and honey) with alternating layers of the Chocolate Truffle filling and the Toasted Marshmallow filling; then frosted it with the Marshmallow buttercream and covered the top again in the remaining Chocolate Truffle. And I just have to say: IT WAS AMAZING!!!. The cake turned out so well, although it did sink in the middle so I'll have to play around with it. But my co-workers went NUTS over this cake, they actually thought I had bought it somewhere! I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Here's a pic. The cake isn't even decorated very well, but it tasted so yummy!

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 1:46pm
post #6298 of 6536

you just made me very hungry...

Jennacakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennacakes13 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 3:01am
post #6299 of 6536

AWow what a great post! I'm new to the cake/cupcake world, so I've been putting out my feelers for good cake/cupcake and icing recipes. :)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 4:04am
post #6300 of 6536

This thread is awesome!!! I am saving it for future reference. I'm even doing a happy dance because it means I have more experimenting to do in the kitchen! Yeah!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%